DIY DAC for maximum 200€
Sep 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #63 of 75
This is not only about enjoying music, this is about my school-leaving exam, I need to make somethink, and DAC looks like good option, because I have now only my cakewalk UA-1G sound card like a DAC, and for my other gear (BVaudio Headamp and AKG K701) I think is my DAC not so much good. I think I can do that Gamma 2, but I have one question, I don´t see nowhere anything about power supply for Gamma 2, maybe I´m blind. What I need for it ?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #66 of 75
no
Quote:

Onboard power supply voltage regulation (separate LDO voltage regulators for the digital and analog sections), with extensive use of ferrite beads for noise rejection.

just usb or a 5v dc 500mA or more wallwart with the center pin positive

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #68 of 75
Today was send package to me with all parts, I hope it will came fine, and will work after completing...

One question, is PC and Gamma2 DAC better than Imod with blackgate capacitator ?

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #69 of 75
I would say yes, the Gamma2 would be better.. From what I can find online the 5G Ipod uses the WM8758 DAC, (although the Wolfson site only shows a WM8759). Looking at the spec's comparison, the WM8741 would be a quite a bit better DAC.
The WM8501 which is in the Gamma1 looks to be equivalent to the WM8759, or at least AMB suggests they are interchangeable in the Gamma1.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #70 of 75
The sound difference between the WM8501 and WM8741 is easy to hear, even for my old ears. The Gamma2 is quite a bit better sound quality than an IMOD. You'd have to expect that, given the price and portability differences. Whether you'll be able to hear & enjoy the differences depends on the amp and phones you use. Even direct coupled (no amp) using good IEMs, the Gamma 2 is noticeably better than an IMOD though.

You made the better choice with the Gamma1/2 verses buying the Opus boards. The only advantage the Opus has is easy Balanced configuration. In all other respects the Gamma 2 is a better designed project. I can solder the parts on a Gamma1/2 project faster (3~4 hours) than I can make a reasonable case for an Opus (took me about 10 hours including multiple trips to the hardware store). The SE sound is virtually equivalent between the two ~ with a Metronome board for the Opus.

Have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #71 of 75
I don't know that the Gamma 1/2 is better then the Opus, it only took me a couple hours to build my dual mono and put it in a decent plastic enclosure. The Opus is just a bit more expensive in the configuration he was talking about and the Opus is all about personal use. You can have all sorts of configurations. Sound wise though I think the Gamma 2 and Opus would sound identical.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

One question, is PC and Gamma2 DAC better than Imod with blackgate capacitator ?

Can not answer with finality but I think my y1 sounds better than my diymodded mini with sonicaps.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #74 of 75
When you start building the Gamma1 and 2, if you run into issues, you should read the respective threads for them, and post there. You will get more/quicker help there.

Also, if you haven't done SMD soldering before, check out this video: YouTube - Surface Mount Soldering 101

and get yourself a Kester flux Pen, if you haven't already. It will help tremendously when doing the SMD work. Check out some of the early posts on the Gamma2 thread as well, there was some discussion about SMD soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back