DIY 3D scans of earmolds?
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

W1ll1eTheP1mp

500+ Head-Fier
Hey. I wonder if anyone have tried to make 3D scans of their earmolds yourself? Want to save shippingcost+time instead of sending my physical ones. Any experience?

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 4
I have not done this myself, but a year or so ago I was looking to get a CIEM and had spoken to the company about this (64 Audio in this case, I am sure same applies to others). I also spoke to several audiologists and hearing centres here as I also wanted to save on shipping costs. Most audiologists have, or have access to, 3D scanners which are used to create 3D files of physical impressions - which is often used for the making of hearing aids. They said it was an easy and quick process to take the mold and get a 3D scan of it, which could then be sent to the IEM company.

So I'd check with local audiologists or similar, and also with the IEM company if they can accept a 3D scan of a mold.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I have not done this myself, but a year or so ago I was looking to get a CIEM and had spoken to the company about this (64 Audio in this case, I am sure same applies to others). I also spoke to several audiologists and hearing centres here as I also wanted to save on shipping costs. Most audiologists have, or have access to, 3D scanners which are used to create 3D files of physical impressions - which is often used for the making of hearing aids. They said it was an easy and quick process to take the mold and get a 3D scan of it, which could then be sent to the IEM company.

So I'd check with local audiologists or similar, and also with the IEM company if they can accept a 3D scan of a mold.
This is my problem, that my local audiologist dont have 3d scan. They just take physical molds and give it to you, and thats what i got. But ive have googled and can see that there is several apps for androidthat are made for making 3D Scans / STL files.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmmm - I doubt those will have the level of resolution required but you never know. Perhaps you can speak to any other company that makes hearing aids in your country and ask them if they have a scanning device that they use for molds. Alternatively you can try the Android apps but then send the file to the IEM company to vet if it is adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back