DIY 12' RCA cable wiring advice
Oct 22, 2022 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

larcenasb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I need a 12' run of RCA cables from my preamp (which is also my headphone amp at my PC) to my speaker amp on the adjacent wall. What would be the best way to wire 2-conductor RCA cables in this scenario? Here are some options I've come across:
  • Contemporary method (directional): From DH Labs: “If the BL-1 is used in an unbalanced application (e.g., most home installations), the shield should float at one end. On the source end, connect both the black center conductor and the drain wire to the shield of the RCA connector. On the load end, leave the drain wire unconnected.”
  • Japanese method (suggested by Shirokazu Yazaki-san): "One conductor is connected to the hot of the RCA plug and the other conductor is connected to the grounding of RCA plug with the shield of the cable [for both ends]". So, the cables are not directional, and need no break-in. Even with zero time on them, straight out of the package, they perform amazingly well. Smooth and natural, timbrally realistic, beautiful tone color, and terrific musicality.
  • Weird method (suggested by French-forumer, Dominique): Both conductors of a 2-conducter cable are soldered to RCA hot pin, and the shield alone to the ground (plug housings) on both sides.
Would the latter two methods possibly allow hum into the audio? Also what if using coax video cables for audio? Would one end have the shield connected to ground and the other end only the center conductor to signal is connected? Thanks for any help. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back