Discrete Op-Amps Discussion Thread
Sep 30, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #16 of 26
I´ve now evaluated the following dual discrete OpAmps: Burson V6, SparkoS SS3602, NewClassD Ultimate Performance and Orange.

The test equipment was a Lovely Black Cube headphone amp and a AK4399 DAC paired with Pioneer SE-A1000/Sennheiser HD 800 headphones and B&W 683 S2 speakers with Yamaha RX-V771 receiver.

They have retail price in following order (rising, to most expensive last): Orange, V6, SS3602 and NewClassD UP.

For Power consumption, they will draw following: V6 = 14mA, Orange = 18mA, NewClassD UP = 20mA and SS3602 = 27,5mA.

Regarding specifications, the THD % levels and Open Loop Gain db are (from worst to best): V6 = 0,03% and 73 OLG (for prev. generation V5), Orange = 0,02% and 112db OLG, NewClassD = <0,0003% and SS3602 = 0,0003% and OLG at outstanding 140db.
Also, the SS3602 and NewClassD UP are pure Class A (where SS3602 can reach a higher Class A current level) while I think V6 and Orange will always work in Class AB.

About customer service and their technical knowledge, the Orange would just helped me with the specs, while Burson are quite good. SparkoS and has an outstanding support!

If we have size in mind, then the SS3602 and Orange are the smallest (altough Orange are vertical positioned and taller), while the V6 are thinnest but very tall and the NewClassD UP are hugely sized.

Now, let´s talk about their sound; The V6 has two models; Vivid and Classic. Vivid are the most detailed and has a bigger sound stage while the Classic are warmer and a closer sound stage. I mostly tested the Vivid, as I think this better was up to my taste and had better synergy with my equipment than Classic.

NewClassD UP did very well in my DAC (altough I used the single version here) and when I used some small bipolar caps from each rail to ground (as recommended by Lars Clausen), it´s has a fantastic sound. In my headphone amp, the SS3602 performed best, with a very big, detailed and spectacular sound.

Orange´s sound reminds a bit of SS3602, altough it maybe not reached similar all the way (maybe due to the lack of Class A).

So, the conclusions are: If you´re wallet/budget are slim, then go for the Orange, as it´s about half the price but will perform better for audio equipment than any other standard monolithic IC operational amplifier in the market and as I experienced in my amp, also better than V6.

If you have narrow space around the OpAmp socket at the PCB or if small current draw consumtion are important, then the V6 will be for you.

If one has rather big space around the PCB socket and the budget are not critical and for the right equipment that care for some Class A (such as DACs or maybe some amps) and need a fast and stable OpAmp, then you will have an outstanding sound with the NewClassD.

But if the vertical space are slim to the enclosure, want high current and value the many technical benefits (such as two pole compensation) and also enjoy pure Class A, the SS3602 should be the best for you.

When everything´s right and the synergy are matching, one will enjoy an experience to be right in the sound - just not listening to some headphones/speakers!

Finally, I want to thank´s Lars Clausen at the Danish company, Andrew Sparks at the US company SparkoS, Charles at the Australian company Burson Audio and Neil Mitchell at the UK company Orange a lot for providing me with those discrete OpAmps to evaluate and made this test possible and also for the help and support you bringed me!

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 26
Discrete opamps were discussed on several different threads but always in context of a specific device they were installed in. We didn't have a dedicated thread to gather all the impressions, reviews and tutorials for this relatively obscure class of audio devices so here it is!
I'll keep adding content to this post so revisit it regularly for more... well, content.

Reviews (I'll keep adding them once original authors grant their permission)

No reviews so far.

No reviews so far.

No reviews so far.

Device compatibility

Two singles and two duals are required.

Sparkos Labs SS3601 - fits inside with no issues
Sparkos Labs SS3602 - fits inside but requires the back cover to be off
Burson v5i (both versions) - fits inside but requires the back cover to be off

Two duals are required

Burson v5i - fits inside with no issues

one dual is required

Burson v5i - fits inside with no issues
Burson v5 - does not fit, requires an adapter in order to be able to close the lid

three duals are required

Burson v5i - first two opamps fit with no issues, theird one require nearby capacitors to be bent slightly in order to fit

one dual is required

Burson v5i - requires nearby capacitors to be bent in order to fit

uses two duals or four singles

Burson v5i - fits in two duals configuration, does not fit in four singles configuration due to DIP-8 sockets being too close to each other

uses one dual

Burson v5i - fits with no issues

Uses two singles and two duals

Burson v5i - fits with no issues

Troubleshooting

<placeholder>

Let me be perfectly clear, other op-amp manufacturers are free to submit their own dank memes to this thread.
I have a burson conductor 3x reference with V6 vivids. I love it. But with the black friday sales ive ordered a pair of V6 classics to try. I've also got a pair of dual sparkos PRO DISCRETE OP AMP SS2590 on the way. I'm 99.9% sure ive got a solution to make them fit. Even if it involves soldering but i don't think it will come to that. I'll post my thoughts once ive tried them.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 26
2x PRO DISCRETE OP AMP SS2590 :ksc75smile:

IMG_20201103_231554.jpg

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 26
20201130_193819.jpg

20201130_221832.jpg

My Loxjie P20 is picking up RF(radio tuning noise) when using SS3602 but V6 Vivids working with no issues(only a bit hiss when powering on).

Can I use RC on input pins to eliminate the noise?

Any suggestions will help.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #23 of 26
So, the conclusions are: If you´re wallet/budget are slim, then go for the Orange, as it´s about half the price but will perform better for audio equipment than any other standard monolithic IC operational amplifier in the market and as I experienced in my amp, also better than V6.

So you saying the Orange OPA performed better than V6 Vivids/Classic in your amp?
Did you Check the Output current of Orange opa? Is it higher than ss3602?
Can you describe the sound of the Orange 🍊opa are they good for Rock/Metal/Accoustic/instrumental stuff and live recordings?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 26
Anyone did try Orange Discrete Dual OP AMPS??
Took me too long to find this thread again (and it's been in my watch list, which is capped to 2 pages - Jude... what are you doing)

Have been using 2 * Orange Dual Discrete Op-Amps in my Gustard P26 preamplifier for a few weeks now.
My thoughts so far:
- Technically better than the latest Burson V6 lineup of opamps; faster transients and good dynamics with a wide soundstage.
- Stays close to the source frequency response; there is a slight bass boost and a relaxation of the upper midrange. It just takes the edge off of the Koss ESP950, for example, but doesn't mellow it like either of the Burson V6 opamps.
- Works really well in a preamp connected to the Koss ESP, and also the LCD-X / Topping A90D. Helps open the soundstage more and keeps the dynamics compared to using the A90D as preamp, but is not as harsh sounding.

Really impressed with the Orange Dual Discrete Op-amps; will be pitting them against the other heavyweights (SparkoS, Staccato, Muzg etc) in the coming months. Keeping the Burson opamps just to test if a component fails; that's it...

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #25 of 26
Took me too long to find this thread again (and it's been in my watch list, which is capped to 2 pages - Jude... what are you doing)

Have been using 2 * Orange Dual Discrete Op-Amps in my Gustard P26 preamplifier for a few weeks now.
My thoughts so far:
- Technically better than the latest Burson V6 lineup of opamps; faster transients and good dynamics with a wide soundstage.
- Stays close to the source frequency response; there is a slight bass boost and a relaxation of the upper midrange. It just takes the edge off of the Koss ESP950, for example, but doesn't mellow it like either of the Burson V6 opamps.
- Works really well in a preamp connected to the Koss ESP, and also the LCD-X / Topping A90D. Helps open the soundstage more and keeps the dynamics compared to using the A90D as preamp, but is not as harsh sounding.

Really impressed with the Orange Dual Discrete Op-amps; will be pitting them against the other heavyweights (SparkoS, Staccato, Muzg etc) in the coming months. Keeping the Burson opamps just to test if a component fails; that's it...
Nice so what’s the conclusion for the Oranges?

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 26
Nice so what’s the conclusion for the Oranges?
It's a lot warmer than I initially thought, a strong bass prescence and upper midrange is brought down. I don't like using it in my preamp when connected to a tube amp (too warm) and due to my gardening hobby lately I haven't tried other opamps yet. That will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back