[DISCOUNT EXPIRED] In An Ambient Way, from Jazz super group, POWERHOUSE
Aug 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
Reviews
"It's fascinating music, almost a reincarnation of Davis." - Mark Dusza, Rzeczpospolita (Warsaw, Poland)

"This rendition of the Miles Davis classic, In a Silent Way, is, on its own two feet, a pretty cool recording. That it’s a posthumous Bob Belden release gives it meaning more profound than the album’s sum as a collection of notes. Joining the saxophonist on this recording are trumpeter Wallace Roney, guitarist Oz Noy, bassist Daryl Johns, drummer Lenny White and Kevin Hays on Fender Rhodes." - Bird Is The Worm

Press Release
POWERHOUSE is a jazz super group that set its sights on interpreting Miles Davis’ groundbreaking album In A Silent Way

using modern recording technology and sonic textures as a contribution to the improvisation. Not only is the texture of the room taken into consideration for the choice of music, but also the prime placement of each instrument within the matrix of the captured sound, all of which added to the input of inspiration that makes the music more alive and interactive.

This recording embraces many elements of the jazz world: the perpetual idea of using technology to improve the world around you that Miles Davis made so clear; the continuation of the generational passing of knowledge through actual living situations; the spontaneous nature of improvised music; and, above all, the desire to discover new things, to improve, develop and add a new dimension to the listening experience for all lovers of music.

Part of the Chesky Binaural + Series, all recorded with a single microphone, the duo appears right before you with this spacious, lush and multi-dimensional recording. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky Recordings. Also these new Binaural+ Series albums capture even more spatial realism for the home audiophile market, bringing you one step closer to the actual event. You will hear some of the most natural and pure jazz ever recorded.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Bought it. I love these Binaural recordings. Keep'em coming!

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Heya,

So just did my listen through (full listen through, beginning to end, no breaks). Impressions thus far, very chill album, nothing zany and crazy going on, just relaxing, mellow flow. Very nice to sit back and relax to. The instrumentation is fantastic, definitely see where the name "powerhouse" comes into play. Each musician takes on a light solo now and then, but they blend together so nicely as a group. Overall it has the kind of flow that you can literally just leave it on repeat or shuffle and unless you were being analytical, you'd never know it was not in order, or on it's second play through--it flows that well. A very interesting take in general on the Mile Davis album. As for the recording itself, as a binaural recording, it's fantastic. I listened a bit on speakers just to sample the album real quick when I got it, but it wasn't until I put on my headphones that you could really feel the immersion. It sounds like you're right there in their little circle, each artist in their spot, and you hear everything in that fashion, and it's as if you're sharing a spot with them. Very interesting sound stage presentation and separation of instruments. You can definitely hear the difference between a binaural recording like this and one that is not just from instrument separation alone. The album's recording quality is superb. I'm very picky when it comes to this because there's a lot of jazz out there where you can hear the noise floor, hear the hiss of the microphones, weird background sounds (not good ones like breathing or feet tapping, those are great). I'm happy to report this album is very isolated, no weird hum, hiss, buzz, etc. Just the instruments. Truly masterful recording.

Listen on a rainy day to make it even better.

I enjoyed the album on:

Hifiman HE-500
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2+
Emotiva Mini-X A-100

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back