"Disc Ejector" center hub question....
May 7, 2003 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
This will sound like such a stupid question, but here goes....

I have always used Panasonic portable CD players. One feature that I like very much is the "disc ejector". For those who are not familiar with this feature, it is a buttom on the center hub that, when pressed, "pops" the CD free of the hub. I don't think any other brand has this particular feature. Anyway, I am considering buying another PCDP and want to expand my choices beyond what Panasonic is offering. So, will "prying" the CD from the hub of a non-Panasonic PCDP harm the CD in anyway??

May 7, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 7
I've been using Sony PCDPs since 1993, with their much more 'standard' system, and nothing (touch wood) has ever happened to either the players, or the CDs in all that time
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 7
one of my 7 yr. old sonys lost a few ball bearings in the center hub which holds the cd. I replaced them with gold metal beads from local craft store for .30 cents. They just push into the slots on the hub.

May 7, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for everyone's comments so far....keep 'em coming.

Perhaps I'm just anal about this. I figure companies like Sony must've consider these factors before manufacturing something that may damage the CDs, but you just never know....

May 8, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for that, doobooloo....

I was wondering about that because I don't see the "Disc Ejector" feature mentioned on the new Panasonic PCDP packaging.

I hope Panasonic doesn't cheap out on their headphone amps, since I feel that they are better than Sony in this regard.

May 8, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah I love that disc ejector design too, I think Panasonic patent it hence you don't see Sony using it... Yes the center hub CAN come off as I've seen it happened to a few classmates of mine back in high school... They attempted to super glue it back but you can never be as precise and hence, the Discman would work again but the anti-skip thing would no longer function correctly for some reason (marginal disc offset probably)... If I remember correctly, one was a D-345 and another a D-777...

Personally I think they are just rough with things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back