Dilemma : Where to install my HiFi installation
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ignaceii

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

Let me explain my problem.
First.
I have a chronic illness and often need my bed to rest.
Second.
My Installation.
1 preamplifier NAD 1020.
2 amplifiers NAD, c326bee and the c357bee.
Both are driven in parallel by the 1020,
2 Totem Rokk Monitors.
But mainly. The high end PMC Twenty 24.
Turntable MMF 2.2
Advance Accoustic CD and DAC.

A second full REGA installation with evenly priced Gato speakers are located in a separate room.

So these equipments generate power. But also finesse.

Now, the issue is the first installation.
Currently this one is installed in my bedroom.
Yes, I could have gone away with a PMC 23, and. No upgrade to the 357bee "beast" from NAD.
But given an ideal offer for the twenty 24, I could not resist.

So, now. My bed is in the middle of the speakers , head at 3 meters (sorry, I use the metric system, please convert). I installed a chair in the corner straight in front of one of the speakers.
The music is fabulous. The volume knob on the preamp cannot pass a quarter , as the volume is very high.
So, I work between 0 and 1/4 of the maximum (can fill a small stadium perhaps).

Now, I was thinking of moving to a basement room, with low ceilings, speakers at 5 to 6 meters. But no bead of course to ly my body down.
I read much of people also listening at 3 meters.

Question or dilemma.
stay where I am, or move to the basement where I could increase volume or have more spacious music, although with the low ceilings ?

I am quite happy where I am, but given the power of the installation, and speakers, this question rose.
Also, I need to take stairs down, to go and listen.
Now, I do not have to move.
I favour my bedroom . I tested the basement with left over chario speakers, and the result was quite good.

Thanks for all your advise.
Ignace.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 6
It is a lot of hassle! I know you would like to experiment down in the basement room since winter is coming but the results may not be worth it and you have to think about bringing refreshments down to the basement. I hope you get well and by the way you have a nice setup.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you. It is just, well, driving at a quarter of its capacity is a bit frustrating.
Allthough volume is not the issue. I suppose powerful amps and speakers also mean more quality at lower volumes. 
And you are right. I will not feel happy there... also having all my vinyl, cds,... upstairs....
And I do not know either if listening at longer distances improves listening quality. It might sound to far away too. Well, I console or how do they put it, with these arguments.
Maybe 1 day... allthough it is now 8 years since it all begun... Will have to try to live with it I guess.
Haven't touched my biggest friend of all, my piano, in months... Not good I tell you.
Sometimes these fora also can be used to find "friends" as a penpal, to talk to. 
I know, it is not the prime purpose.
But sick melomanes are really lonely people, as they are already different in nature, let alone sick.
But having said this. I guess someone should feel touched or approached to exchange emails outside this forum.
I am a classical melomane by the way.
My new REGA setup was the real newest project, but in the end I upgraded my bedroom HIFI as described, and spend most of the time there.
The REGA is in a "office room", so just a sort of relaxseat to listen... Quite different.
But I need to feel the GATO speaker sound driven by the REGAs too, so I try to spend some time there too.

Thanks again,
Ignace

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 6
From my experience, bad circumstances can lead to depression and depression will leave one paralyzed and unable to do anything or enjoy some activities that require focus. I am happy that I can at least listen to music, if anything I am glad to be alive. Let's have hope for a better tomorrow!

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for liking my setup(s). Perhaps, if you would have to choose, between the Rega elicit r amp, preamped by the audiolab 8200c, apollo cd, Rega DAC and GATO pm-6 speakers (if you know these, not sure).... And the full NAD setup with PMC and advance acoustic.
Well what would be your choice ?
I know, you would have to hear them. Both are +- equals ..,
But some have clear preferences.

Thanks for your support.
Ignace

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
With all due respect, I might be able to guess a headphones performance from reviews and see if they look good or not also their price is not big enough to make a dent on my wallet, headphones are small and simple and don't cost much. With speakers one needs to listen to them in person and look at them to see if they are worth it or not, it is really hard to tell. There are other forums on the Web where people discuss speakers and other components, you might have luck there. Enjoy the music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back