Digidesign ProTools as source (industry standard mixing software/hardware)?
Dec 7, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I was thinking of an EMU 0404, but then I got to thinking that I was planning on a basic ProTools setup to complete my edit station (got full video editing, motion graphics, just need pro sound). So, what if I use all the propietary ProTools hardware as a source? I imagine it's superior to pro-sumer cards like the EMU line as it's used to mix just about any modern movie you see in theaters, as well as a good chunk of anything you hear on the radio
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm thinking of a ProTools LE setup w/ mBox external hardware.

http://www.protools.com/products/mbo.../mboxspecs.cfm

--Illah

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
The mbox is budget hardware. The specs of the emus are better. mbox only goes up to 48khz?

But more importantly is the system. I do not have any experience with Pro Tools and equivalent systems but consider that if its an industry standard and it works, that is a big plus.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Well the system is tried and true, proven in the harshest environments. High end ProTools is what Lucas Sound uses for the hundreds of movies they work on including Star Wars, everything Dreamworks, Lord of the Rings, etc...

As for the hardware true it's only 44.1/48, but that's industry standard (most movie set recording is 48K mono FYI). 96k is starting to penetrate a bit but it's mostly used as a fancy audiophile thing
smily_headphones1.gif
Other stats look good though, like the clean 24bit sound transfer via USB, SPDIF I/O, etc... Budget yes, but this is budget professional hardware, not expensive consumer hardware.

Anyone else?

--Illah

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd recommend finding a good forum where this information is more readily available. I'm sure the regular users of Pro Tools have their favorite setups. Also, Pro Tools should have a "compatibility chart" for most of the higher-end audio interfaces/cards.

Giga Studios and Cakewalk from my personal experience do this simply because their technicians are familiar with with these cards and want consumers to have as smooth an implementation as possible. (it makes their software look good and cuts down on the phone calls)
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I too am going to get the digidesign M-box, coupled with a pair of Beyer 880's. I haven't had much experience with the m-box in the past, but a very good studio engineer who taught me a bit about pro tools and studio work said he prefers the sound of the m-box to the next step upwards, the digidesign rack.
Also, pro tools, in my opinion is definitely the best sampling program out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back