Different bass intensity from 2 different mp3 files of the same song
May 26, 2010 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
They are both 320kbps.  Identical songs.  One has much greater emphasis on bass.  Is this possible?  The file with lack of bass emphasis is from a billboard top 100 compilation and the other from the album.

May 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I haven't read much about the subject (it has been a lot of years since I've lossly compressed music), but another point to check is if they were compressed using different encoders (say iTunes vs LAME), in a quick google search didn't find much about possible bass differences due to this, but maybe someone with knowledge of the subject can comment.

May 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 9
It might very well be the case that they altered (EQ?) the songs on that compilation.

May 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Simply have Audacity do a spectral analysis, and you be clear about how the files are different.

Yeah that sounds the like the best idea to find out.  Thanks.

May 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 9
My guess is that they tweaked the EQ, but more likely they upped the gain of the entire track to match the other songs in the compilation disc.  You can also try replay gain to find out if it's the playback volume that's different.  Although you'd probably be able to tell that one is much louder overall than the other one.

Is there any clipping in the more bass heavy version?  Likely there is clipping if they pushed the loudness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back