Difference in sound between $150 and $2,000 headphones when listening to compressed audio
Dec 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

curtisinoc

100+ Head-Fier
Hypothetical question:

If all I'm using my headphones for is listening to music from my computer (through a decent amp/dac), and all music is 256 or 320 kbps aac files (no lossless, flac etc...) . . . will I notice an improvement by upgrading $150 headphones to a $2,000 pair of headphones?  . .  lets say from an ATH-M50 to an Audeze LCD-3?

I know that the music may sound different from headphone to headphone (bass heavy cans etc...), but wondering if there would be an overall improvement if only listening to compressed music files (256/320 kbps).

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes, in general the choice of headphone will play the single largest role in sound quality. While the ATH-M50 is by no means a bad headphone, you will notice a large difference by upgrading to one of the well-regarded statement products out there, like the LCDs. Whether the difference is worth it is another question and most everyone will tell you to try out a selection of expensive headphones for yourself before you consider buying.

As this is the SS forum, I think it prudent to point out that few people can even tell the difference between high-bitrate AAC and uncompressed audio. Most of my library is compressed 200+ kbps MP3s and AACs and I thoroughly enjoy listening to these files through headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, Stax O2, etc. There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality when I switch from listening to even good closed portables, like the HD25s.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, in general the choice of headphone will play the single largest role in sound quality. While the ATH-M50 is by no means a bad headphone, you will notice a large difference by upgrading to one of the well-regarded statement products out there, like the LCDs. Whether the difference is worth it is another question and most everyone will tell you to try out a selection of expensive headphones for yourself before you consider buying.

As this is the SS forum, I think it prudent to point out that few people can even tell the difference between high-bitrate AAC and uncompressed audio. Most of my library is compressed 200+ kbps MP3s and AACs and I thoroughly enjoy listening to these files through headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, Stax O2, etc. There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality when I switch from listening to even good closed portables, like the HD25s.

Great..... Can I borrow $2,000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Great..... Can I borrow $2,000?

Sure, if you care to sign a legally binding contract and pay 20% interest
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 11
I agree with anetode.

The headphones will always put a certain spin on things, no matter what you're feeding it with. Even right now I'm listening to Youtube music with $2000 headphones.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Although I'm just getting into this "audiophile thing", I have a feeling this will become a very very very expensive and addicting hobby/obsession. I love it!

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Although I'm just getting into this "audiophile thing", I have a feeling this will become a very very very expensive and addicting hobby/obsession. I love it!

If you're smart about it, it won't cost you more than any other similar hobby.

Don't buy headphones just because of some glowing reviews, don't spend money on anything with a product description page made up primarily of adjectives, and trust the numbers before you trust the ears of others.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

If you're smart about it, it won't cost you more than any other similar hobby.

Don't buy headphones just because of some glowing reviews, don't spend money on anything with a product description page made up primarily of adjectives, and trust the numbers before you trust the ears of others.

Good advice. Thanks

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Quoting myself, the relative importance of the different performers in the audio chain is:

wires - 0
DAC/ player - 5
music format - 10
amplifier - 10
headphones - 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back