Difference between phono stage and phono preamp?
Apr 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 19
  Hi guys!

I apologize for resurrecting this thread from the grave but I didn't see the case in opening a new one since the question is related.

I just got a Schiit Valhalla (just placed the order 
biggrin.gif
). And I also own an Audio GD Fun (DAC / AMP)

For digital sources I was thinking

Source -> Fun (As Dac and Preamp) -> Valhalla (Amp) -> Cans

For my Marantz TT-4000 I'm considering two scenarios:

a) Turn table -> DJPREII (Phono amp) ->  Fun (Preamp) -> Valhalla (Amp) -> Cans

or

b) Turn table -> DJPREII (Phono amp) ->  Valhalla (As Amp) -> Cans

I'm wondering if a) is not too long to degrade sound?

I'd preffer using a) since then I can just use the Fun as an input selector for everything (Coax is CD/DVD/BR/SACD, Optical is apple tv, Analog is TT, And there's USB for spare).  
rolleyes.gif
Oh boy I love my FUN! Otherwise I must put splitters or a switch  just before the Valhalla.

I'm using good (but not rich people) interconects: http://www.snapav.com/p-183-b7-aud-1-r.aspx , the lenght is 1 meter.

Cans are: Beyer T70 (250ohms), Senn HD650 (300ohms) and Grado SR225i(32 ohms).

So what do you guys think? Thanks!

Either a or b sounds great to me, though I'm guessing the Grado's may not sound their best do to the high output impedence of the Vahalla... but other than that, go for it and enjoy!

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 19
Either a or b sounds great to me, though I'm guessing the Grado's may not sound their best do to the high output impedence of the Vahalla... but other than that, go for it and enjoy!

Thanks for the input, yes, that's another reason to go with a) since I could use the fun as the main amp for the grado and I would still be able to use all the sources.

There's people from schiit that swears grados and the valhalla are a nice match. (Despite the common sense) so who knows? I just ordered these splitters to be prepared for all scenarios

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002KRCU4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

Cheers,:rolleyes:

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 19
Never heard that about the Grados... very interesting... anywhos have fun!

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 19
yeah...so...this is how it all started;

my favorite lifelong band, RUSH, came out with a 200g vinyl remaster of their 1st self titled debut album, now 40 years old.  And so....I begin the vinyl toe dipping....

purchased a Rega RP1 then, before it even shipped, started reading about the need for a preamp...soo...I picked up the Cambridge Audio 551P...I don't know...this will be going into my Onkyo receiver.  Also picked up the Led Zeppelin remasters 1 thru and houses of the holy and some Porcupine Tree....we'll see.

I mean, I will dabble with this and my headphone setups:

headamp GS1 / Senn HD850  or RS1 Grados.

Just want a nice taste of the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back