Die flubby bass! Return to whence ye came!
Dec 4, 2004 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

I'm waiting for a Chaintech in the mail (compgeeks is taking their sweet time, US > AU). I just received my Senn HD650 from Todd in 13 days, most impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, I'm suffering from the bass sounding like it's all one note when there is a lot of action going on. I'm currently listening through the headphone jack on my nad amp and realise this may not be the best, but I'm following the recommended upgrade chain: cans, source, amp, cables. And I'm still at the source/soundcard stage. BTW I'm listening to CDs or lossless audio formats.

If the Chaintech doesn't make any noticeable difference to the bass flab, I'd look at getting either the E-mu 0404 or 1212M.

My question: How bad is the "looseness" that some ppl hear in the bass coming from the 0404?

From what I gather the 0404 is considered more lively (and cheaper, which is a good thing), but some have said that the bass is boomy. This is exactly what I'm trying to move away from. Since I'll have to ship them either one from www.music123.com to get the best price I can find online (AU sellers sell it at nearly twice the price, excluding shipping!), I'd want to make the right decision, cos shipping sucks ($37US to Australia!) and I only wanna buy right ONCE.

If an E-Mu didn't fix the flab, then i'd stick with the E-Mu and look at buying a headphone amp. (Have been investigating the Gilmore Lite for that).

I will be using the digital output of any soundcard to my stereo speaker setup: NAD T742 / Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers, but if I got a headphone amp, I'd be using the analog outputs of the soundcard to feed the HP amp. (Thought that might be important info).

Are all SPDIF outputs equal??? they SHOULD be... but are they??

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't find the AV710 to have flabby bass at all, but do post your impressions when you get it running.

I too have been reading the 0404 vs 1212m impressions this week and am getting a mental picture of the 0404 being the "groovalizer" of soundcards, and that is not what I really want either if true. My SR-325's could use perhaps a little more bass slam, but I'm quite happy with the way my speakers sound with the AV710, so no more midbass for them, please.

-coma

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I don't find the AV710 to have flabby bass at all, but do post your impressions when you get it running.

I too have been reading the 0404 vs 1212m impressions this week and am getting a mental picture of the 0404 being the "groovalizer" of soundcards, and that is not what I really want either if true. My SR-325's could use perhaps a little more bass slam, but I'm quite happy with the way my speakers sound with the AV710, so no more midbass for them, please.

-coma

The "Groovalizer" signature was there when i hooked the 0404 up for the first time, and why I prefered my AV-710's sound to it... I returned mine and ordered another AV-710.

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodge
The "Groovalizer" signature was there when i hooked the 0404 up for the first time, and why I prefered my AV-710's sound to it... I returned mine and ordered another AV-710.

Neat. Nice to hear someone actually compared the AV710 with the 0404 and preferred the AV710. I'm really finding myself enjoying my loudspeakers lately and just don't want any groovalizing going on.

biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
Unfortunately, I'm suffering from the bass sounding like it's all one note when there is a lot of action going on.

I'm currently listening through the headphone jack on my nad amp and realise this may not be the best, but I'm following the recommended upgrade chain: cans, source, amp, cables.

Are all SPDIF outputs equal??? they SHOULD be... but are they??

Bass is one of the things which is improved by having an amp. So I wouldn't judge sources too much having headphones directly plugged into them.

There are differences in digital outputs (from jitter) but it's not that big of an issue on lower end systems since they are not as resolving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
am getting a mental picture of the 0404 being the "groovalizer" of soundcards, and that is not what I really want either if true. My SR-325's could use perhaps a little more bass slam, but I'm quite happy with the way my speakers sound with the AV710, so no more midbass for them, please.

It's easier to EQ down. Don't forget emu has DSP feature you sessions so you can make different speaker and headphones sessions. A matter of quantity is one thing but quality you can't change via EQ and the 0404 has more of quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodge

Sorry but you never got that card working right in your system and you only listened to it for a short period of time. Can't see how you can make that comment.

Dec 4, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Bass is one of the things which is improved by having an amp. So I wouldn't judge sources too much having headphones directly plugged into them.

I am plugging into the headphone jack of my NAD amp, as I said. Not my soundcard.

I'm also glad to hear some ppl prefer the AV710, we'll see how I go.
600smile.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
I am plugging into the headphone jack of my NAD amp, as I said. Not my soundcard.

The NAD's headphone jack maybe still be inadequate.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Snoodge, you listened to your cans straight out of a single jack of the 0404 and hence you got an underpowered mono signal, so your comment is meaningless.

Given the AV710 was probably inferior to my old Terratec I'd be flabbergasted if anyone *really* preferred the AV710 to the 0404
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back