Detroit "Mini" Meet - Impressions
Apr 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #166 of 172
All your listening sessions with the HD800 have been single-ended, right?

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #167 of 172
Fafner: Yep, we couldn't recable the HD800's cuz they weren't Jude's. SE only so far.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #168 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....But it would't explain why my DAC wouldn't work at the meet - then fired up at home...albeit combusted later....

Stacy, death is often preceded by illness.

Not only was the Wadia iTransport / Lavry DA11 combination working at the office before and after you left on days (and at times) in the industrial park when power issues would be more likely to be occur, but it's working at home now. I seem to recall your Zhaolu was not locking onto the signal without some amount of fidgeting. You said it sounded funny at the Mini-Meet. Your Zhaolu later does the suicide dance, reaching out and sizzling one of your headphone drivers before that routine was done.

I think the law of parsimony applies here.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #169 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm not so sure this was the case.

The interesting thing is that my expectations were low (expecting it to be the HD650+), and I was prepared to be disappointed in what one might get from $1,400 cans. I was frankly blown away. This is now the second time I've heard it, the first time in a much smaller meet, both times with my own source...and it's as impressive as ever. I'm absolutely buying one the first chance I get.

I'd suggest actually listening to one before deciding how much you'll pay and how long you'll wait.
wink.gif

At any rate, the used HD800's you're looking for won't be mine!
biggrin.gif

I'm just saying, right now, I can't afford any new headphone for 1,400, unless I sell my headphone collection.. Not sure I want to do that with a phone I never heard before..

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #170 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that were the case, I feel like a real PIA.

But it would't explain why my DAC wouldn't work at the meet - then fired up at home...albeit combusted later.

I will shut up on this for the time being. Right now, I am living in Mid-fi anyway and appreciating the more budget audio for what it is. "Budget" being a relative term.

There's your answer in bold right there - something was WRONG WITH THE DAC and you heard it first, and then it eventually self-destructed. I'm sorry it happened, but I think it was giving you a warning in advance. I might have missed the warning myself as well.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #171 of 172
Thanks all for the impressions from the Detroit meet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Later, I'll post more impressions of other gear at our Detroit Mini-Meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, tomorrow I'll be listening to the HD800 mostly out of the Style Audio Topaz, to see how the Topaz does with it

So Jude, do you have any further impressions of the Topaz and the FET-A paired with the HD800? Paired with the SRH840?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back