Desktop Mix?
Aug 19, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a question which I just read elsewhere, and would also like answered please. I am interested in the Desktop amp with 'Home' module plus 'Max' Dac-is this configuration possible? Is the difference greater SQ wise going from the 'Home' dac to the 'Max' Dac, or going from the 'Home' amp to the 'Max' amp?
That was a mouth full.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question which I just read elsewhere was asked by someone else and would like answered please. I am interested in the Desktop amp with 'Home' module plus 'Max' Dac-is this possible? Is the difference greater going from the 'Home' dac to the 'Max' Dac than going from the 'Home' amp to the 'Max' amp?
That was a mouth full.

Hi there,

Firstly, you can spec the Desktop line with any combination of Module and DAC that you choose. They are on separate, unrelated riser boards, and the amp will ship with which ever combination you choose installed.

Secondly, to my ears, there is a bigger difference between the Home electronics module and Max electronics module than there is between the Home DAC and Max DAC (this is also true in terms of differece in components used).

This is partly source dependent however, as the difference between the Home and Max DAC is that the Max DAC has upsampling and reclocking to reduce jitter, whereas the Home DAC does not. Therefore the benefit of the Max DAC ought to be greater the worse your source is - for example, there is a lot of jitter involved in a USB connection, so if you use that you will get a particular benefit from the Max DAC. Otherwise, the two remain the same - the DAC chip is the same, and the ouput stage is the same pair of OPA627's biased into class A.

The difference between the Home and Max electronics module is quite significant - all the dual 2134 opamps are replaced with the single 627's (sonically a big upgrade), only top shelf caps and resistors are used, and the output transistors are upgraded to a top of the line pair.

If you can afford it, I strongly recommend Max Electronics and Home DAC rather than the other way round. Remember that the benefit from the upgraded electronics applies to any source you might use with the amp, whereas the upgrade to the DAC is ony relevant when you are using it as your source.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the lucid explanation, now this changes everything. One question though, you stated they use the same Dac i.e.(Home and Max). Doesn't the Max use the Analog Devices AD1896 and the Home & Desktop use the Cirrus Logic CS4398?

More lucidity required.

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the lucid explanation, now this changes everything. One question though, you stated they use the same Dac i.e.(Home and Max). Doesn't the Max use the Analog Devices AD1896 and the Home & Desktop use the Cirrus Logic CS4398?

More lucidity required.

The AD1896 is a resampling chip, which takes the input stream and converts it to 24/192, reclocks and then sends it on to the same 4398 DAC chip.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Therefore the benefit of the Max DAC ought to be greater the worse your source is - for example, there is a lot of jitter involved in a USB connection

Two further questions if I may. Firstly Regarding jitter on the USb side, does this apply or apply slightly to the other inputs namely Optical and Coaxial?

Now my second question is about justifiable value. Here are my options:
A-Desktop; Home+Home = $997US > $1213Aus Dollars Excluding delivery
B-Desktop; Max + Home = $1297US > $1529Aus +15% Customs Duties(Applies over $1000) > $1758Aus Excluding Delivery
C-Desktop; Max + Max = $1397US+Astrodyne$99 > $1822Aus +15% Customs Duties > $2095Aus Excluding Delivery

Considering the vast differences here with the final figures $1213,$1758 and $2095 respectfully . I ask you since you are best informed with the headroom gear in question, is going from the Home+Home to the Max+Max worth the extra almost 50% in cost?
You have already stated that you believe in the Max+Home version, again is this worth the extra in real terms?

Thanks for answering my many questions in the past.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 9
I'll give this a try. First, this hobby is rather expensive, there's just no getting around that. Most folks would say that none of this stuff is worth what your paying for it. So, OK, we're a little nuts because we so highly value excellence in audio reproduction. You question is, is it worth the money going up to the Max electronics. The only legitimate answer to that is that it depends on how much money is worth to you, and how much you value excellence in audio.

Some guys have a pile of dough and it's no big deal to drop a couple of k on an amp. Other guy don't have lots of dough so that get their kicks modifying KSC75s. Both may love audio, but money is a lot more valuable to one than the other.

The one thing I can tell you is that our margins are the same on all the products we build. The final price is a direct reflection of the cost of the parts inside the box. So, strictly in terms of the value of the componants in the unit itself, all three amps have the same value proposition.

Personally I do believe the the value of a 627 in terms of what it does for the sound of the amp is disproportionatly high. In other words, if we spend $12 on a Cardas RCA jack, and $12 on a 627, the 627 does a lot more for the sound quality than the jack.

I know I haven't told you if it's really worth it, that's because it's a question only you can answer. I can say the Max clearly sounds better than the Home electronics.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 9
If I read this correctly, the Max and Home DAC's are technically identical with the exception of reclocking and upsampling. So theoretically in a jitter-free transport situation the obvious choice would be the Home module, since the advantages of the Max would be moot.

I'm not inferring anything here, and I realize that jitter-free is not a realistic term (as far as SPDIF goes anyway).

It would be cool to see the Home DAC vs. the Max DAC in a variety of transport situations. I'd especially like to compare the two using USB.

Sorry for hijacking!

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
While the upsampling scheme does have jitter reduction advantages, it also has the advantage of data interpolation. This data interpolation makes the audio sound smoother and more liquid.

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 9
In my experience Macbook Pro>itunes ALL>USB >DT Maxed +Max Dac>701or 650=very very nice. (Better than WinXP WMA LL via Jriver/ASIO), BUT, add in the Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC and its now FABULOUS!! I'm now wondering how much better a Balanced Home Maxed out would add to these combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back