Desktop DAC Recommendations (max 5000$)
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Midian27

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations for a Desktop DAC.
I am currently using my DAP(Cayin N8II) as Source/DAC for the Cayin HA-300MK2. Headphones are the Yamaha YH-5000SE, the Focal Utopia 2022 and the Sony MDR-Z1R.
I am looking for a fitting Desktop DAC with good input possibilities and want to use XLR for the connection to the amp.
Would be great if it has some streamer qualities and is roon ready.
Price range is 4000-5000$ but wouldn't be sad if its less :wink:

Thanks

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 9
If you want just a dac I recommend Rockna Wavelight

With streamer I recommend Hifi Rose RS150B

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Thank you both, the Rose looks awesome!

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Hello,

I am currently using my DAP(Cayin N8II) as Source/DAC for the Cayin HA-300MK2. Headphones are the Yamaha YH-5000SE, the Focal Utopia 2022 and the Sony MDR-Z1R.
I am looking for a fitting Desktop DAC with good input possibilities and want to use XLR for the connection to the amp.

Thanks
This is a good resource and place to start imo...

https://www.sonusapparatus.com/2022/02/short-high-end-dac-comparison-pt-2/

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Hello,

Thanks
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and recommend sticking with the Cayin as your desktop DAC/AMP unless you really feel you need more power for your headphones. If you do, something like the upcoming Fiio R9 for $1500 might be a good choice if you're looking for that DAP experience from a desktop system. But yeah, Chord makes great stuff too. I personally find that unless I'm powering a Susvara, a good quality DAP will do the job of a desktop system with ease - my Fiio M15S is good at it and my Cayin N8ii was great at it also. You could always get the Cayin iDAP-6 or iDAC-6? Also, HiBy makes a DAP adapter to work with desktop systems that I use to connect my speakers to my PC - the CR08 (only $300). Anyway, best of luck!

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Have great thanks for your input. I have a lot to read and research for.
The Kitsune looks like a great system.
Maybe HifiWar is right and I stay with the Cayin N8II as DAC or get a not totl DAC.
The Cayin HA-300MK2 has more than enough Power.
But I will see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back