Denon CH751(700) vs. Head Direct RE2 vs. Westone UM1 - Which to buy?
Sep 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #16 of 19
I'm pretty certain the reason that the C700 is cheaper than the C751 is that the C700 is a discontinued model.

Although the C700 sounds great, some early reviews criticised the lack of accessories for a pair of headphones that cost £140.

Suddenly the C751 was introduced at roughly the same price point, but with a few additional accessories and a cable extension, and the price of the C700 dropped.

I'm fairly certain the price of the C700 dropped (in some cases to as low as £60) as it's been discontinued (it no longer appears on the Denon website) and retailers are just trying to clear their stock.

I personally like the C700 as I prefer not having the extra weight of a connection in the cable, so its incredible value for money.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 19
Does buy.com ship to China or HK? Also is there an even cheaper price out there atm? Buy.com is currently selling em for $105 excl. shipping. Also is buy.com an official retailer for the denons (ie. can i get warranty buying of them)?

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The c700's are better in every way except for ... aesthetics.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that ... I think the Denons are the best looking pair of earphones out of the 3 options (C700, RE2 and UM1).

Admitedly, the C700s are fairly big and look like bolts sticking out of your ears, but they've got a gorgeous machined aluminum case, good sturdy wires and a nice aluminium 3.5mm jack.

I'm sure the RE2 is a great earphone for the price, but I think it's been hit with the ugly stick. And the UM1 ... once again, I'm really sure that it's a great sounding piece of kit, but it looks too much like a cheap National Health Service hearing aid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The c700's sound very harsh in the treble straight out of the box (and I like bright 'phones).

Once again, sorry but I've got to disagree. I thought the C700s sounded great straight out of the box, with absolutely no harshness. I previously had the q-Jays and had to sell them as I found them way too bright and analytical. The C700s seemed beautifully warm and balanced in contrast .. though that's noty to say they don't improve given a bit of burn-in.

Just goes to show, opinions are like @rseholes ... we've all got one.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 19
Out of those three, I would definitely get the Denon AH-C751 for SQ. For isolation and comfort, the Westone UM1s are unbeatable though, but they just lack the sparkle of the other two 'phones - the highs are severely rolled-off and lack detail IMO. The Head-Direct RE2 has better highs and cleaner overall sound than UM1, but still lacks the wonderful sparkle, bass impact, separation and soundstage that Denon C751 possesses IMO. Plus, I also felt that Head-Direct RE2s were a little too microphonic and hard to fit into my ears for use on the move. Denon AH-C751 is better in this respect, but it's isolation may be somewhat insufficient for busy streets/subway.
Overall I think Denon AH-C551 is clearly the best of the bunch, unless isolation is really important to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back