Delta Dio 24/96
Aug 2, 2001 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sackley

Audiophile can you spare a dime?
I can play MP3 audio, cd audio, and dvd audio through this soundcard, right? Cause if that is true, I want to route the analogue outs to hopefully a wheatfield HA-1, and then to either my speakers or headphones so I would have no need for my old soundblaster.

Aug 2, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I believe the Delta Dio is pretty similar to the Audiophile 2496, which I have, so yes it can do all those things. However, to play audio CDs, your player will need a plug-in or need to have the built-in capability to digitally read data directly from the CD drive, because I don't remember there being an analog CD-audio connection jack on the soundcard. WinAmp, MediaPlayer, Sonique, and Apollo all have CD-Reader plug-ins available, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 2, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Sorry Gluegun, I meant for it to play the audio from a DVD movie. Sorry for the confusion. DHWilken, thanks. Maybe that is why a UDMA harddrive is required.

Aug 2, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Another question, is there a way to get a mini SPDIF to SPDIF adaptor because my speakers are dumb and use a mini SPDIF connection. If not, could I use an RCA (Left and Right channel) to mini adaptor?

Aug 2, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 12
What in the world kind of speakers use a mini-SPDIF connection? I guess a RCA->mini-SPDIF adapter exists, and you could use it... or better yet, just get some new speakers to do the Delta Dio justice...

Aug 2, 2001 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 12
DH, I have a pair of Boston Acoustic Digital 7500's and they are connected from the digital out from the SB Live! So, I do have a decent set of speakers.

Aug 2, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Sackley, yea, your speakers and sound card are decent, but, if you're gonna upgrade your speakers to something that's an audiophile system, you are GONNA have to upgrade your soundcard first. But your current system is well matched....however, using the 7500's with something like, say, one of the better audiophile sound cards out there, the Delta Dio is just kinda overkill for those speakers, you know?

Aug 2, 2001 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Gluegun said...

Sackley, yea, your speakers and sound card are decent, but, if you're gonna upgrade your speakers to something that's an audiophile system, you are GONNA have to upgrade your soundcard first. But your current system is well matched....however, using the 7500's with something like, say, one of the better audiophile sound cards out there, the Delta Dio is just kinda overkill for those speakers, you know?

Yes, that's what I meant. Didn't mean to be bashing your BA speakers sackley, I figured it was some weird generic speaker set, sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Sackley, how do you like the Digital speakers? I was wondering what the point was exactly to have digital speakers at that price point. The only digital speakers I'm familiar with are from Meridian, but they cost thousands of dollars. Are the benefits in sound worth paying for a D/A converter in the speakers instead of the price all going to just the speakers themselves?

Aug 2, 2001 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 12
My speakers, the Altec Lansing ADA885, too have a digital input with a DAC. It isn't great, my AP2496's DAC is probably better, but I've been too lazy to find out.

I tried connecting it to my Link DAC but there were some phase invertion problems (the DAC is known for this).

And a RCA->mini does exist, came with my speakers for it's intended SB live.

Aug 3, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Gluegun,

My speakers are not my primary source of listening so they are not my top concern. I also do not want to get a better set of speakers because I am on the first floor in a college dormitory and in turn would be paranoid about them being OK. The speakers are my secondary concern and they are good enough for me for now. My top concern is getting a good sounding headphone setup for in my dorm that works on what I have. I plan on getting a real CD player within the next six months and maybe some other stuff. So until that day comes, I want everything else to be decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back