Dave Matthews: Everyday vs. Lillywhite Sessions
Jun 29, 2001 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sackley

Audiophile can you spare a dime?
Having been a huge Dave Matthews fan for the past couple years, I was anticipating the new album a lot. I actually preordered the album three months before it came out. When I got it, I was surprised by the different style they used. They were more in your face and they took a lot of emphasis away from the sax and violin. It took some getting used to, but I actually do like the album a lot, but it is not the Dave Matthews Band sound that I was looking for. Then a friend made me aware that he had MP3's of the Lillywhite Sessions. They Lillywhite Sessions was the album that was recorded before Everyday and was meant to be their fourth album, but they switched producers and bagged it. When I heard it, I was really excited. This was the Dave Matthews I knew. With Grey Street, Big-Eyed Fish, and Raven on their, the album was much nicer. I wish I could get a hold of a CD version of that album because I would like a higher quality version of all those songs, but oh well. Now we get to the question, for all you DMB fans out there, which album do you think is better? Everyday or The Lillywhite Sessions?

Jun 29, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 15
if only i could find some of them mp3s - i haven't heard the lilywhite sessions, but Everyday is pretty good. Live at Red Rocks is my only other DMB CD, and it rocks....boyd really gets goin on some of those songs.....

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm listening to Under the Table and Dreaming right now. Since there was some people on headwize that were fans of DMB and my dad had one of his cd's here I decided I better give it a listen. First of all I like that the quality of the recording is one of the best I've heard.
Some of the songs are too mellow for me, but I can listen to it as background music while I'm doing something else that requires thinking or if I'm just in the mood to relax. I do like some of the songs and I really like #4, Rhyme and Reason. It sounds really cool. I'd like to hear some of his other cd's cause it sounds like he might have a few other songs that I'd really like.

Jun 30, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm listening to the Lillywhite Session CD (got it off ebay, supposedly recorded right off the original DAT) right now, and I gotta say, it's better than Everyday. I really hope some of these songs get released on live albums in the future.

You can tell that some of Everyday is in the Lillywhite Sessions, just sounds a little similar. But lillywhite is the natural progression from Before These Crowded Streets IMO. It's definitely more laid back and more DMB's style. I really like it.

BTW, the quality of the CD I got isn't great, probably between Under the Table and Dreaming and Remember Two Things. Crash and Before These Crowded Streets were beautifully recorded, as were their live albums. Recently is a pretty darn good recording too, I'd say right below Crash. But the lillywhite sessions definitely fits in nicely with the rest of the CD's, and was well worth the money I paid for it. I also donated a little bit to the bamaworks foundation so I wouldn't feel like I was doin' something wrong in buying a bootleg
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2001 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 15
coolvij, just IM me at sackley2000 sometime and I will gladly send you the mp3's. Warning though, they are recorded only at 96KB though, but it is enough for you to get an idea.

Jul 3, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 15
Hey sackley, I got 'em ripped...how do you want 'em? I actually ripped at 256k, because that's what we agreed on for our file server in the apartment (to save a bit of space), and since I don't listen to mp3's very much at all, it's fine with me. Anyone else that's wants these, let me know, I may have to put up an ftp or somethin' like that.

Jul 3, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 15
Flumpus,

Do you ahve ICQ ? icq me at 508108 please. I would like to hear the tracks. If you set up and ftp, that is fine as well. email me the ftp info to tidesofkali@hotmail.com or just post it here. ( or PM)

I am on a very fast cable line here so it should only be a *jiffy*
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance.

Tides

Jul 3, 2001 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 15
I can take em any way you have em. I can get them from an FTP, through ICQ or AOL IM. Whatever is easiest for you. My IM name is sackley2000. My ICQ number is 105386731. Thanks again Flumpus.

Jul 3, 2001 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Ok guys, IM me later today on AOL IM, my name is Flumpus2 (I'm still the only Flumpus, long story...
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'll probably just throw them up on an ftp site somewhere.

Jul 4, 2001 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 15
I only have icq here..
508108. or ftp is fine as well. Thanks

Tides

Jul 4, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 15
It looks like i can't do the IM thing till next week - i'm in boston with family right now on a ridiculously slow 56K (read as: 40K at best....
wink.gif
), and i can't imagine downloading AIM....so........later.

Flumpus, can we figure out something for next week? That is, if you don't FTP it.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back