Dave cables xlr or rca
Aug 26, 2022 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sounds4me

New Head-Fier
I have read a number of times that Dave sounds better when using rca out to pre amp , I have only ever used xlr .
Has any member tried both to hear in there system if the rca connection is better , I do not have any rca cables to try this .
I would be going out of the dac into a passive pre a icon 4 then into Chord Ultima 6 , there is no problem with the drop in volume going rca as the icon 4 has been designed to over come this . I do not want to spend on cables if there is only a small improvement .

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 8
I have both and find the RCA a little cleaner. I have some upgraded interconnects coming so I can let you know then.

You can try some RCAs from worlds best cables on Amazon and return them if you don’t hear a difference

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 8
From my tests I have no doubts: RCA is much more detailed. Using XLR I have the distinct perception of "artifact", "nervous" sound, at least when using the Dave with Etudes amp. I highly recommend you try RCA. I blamed the XLR cable, I built another one with Belden cables, same impressions .....

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 8
I have read a number of times that Dave sounds better when using rca out to pre amp , I have only ever used xlr .
Has any member tried both to hear in there system if the rca connection is better , I do not have any rca cables to try this .
I would be going out of the dac into a passive pre a icon 4 then into Chord Ultima 6 , there is no problem with the drop in volume going rca as the icon 4 has been designed to over come this . I do not want to spend on cables if there is only a small improvement .

It’s a matter of taste - only you can decide which you prefer as there is no right answer.

XLR have more slam and apparent power but RCA are a lot more refined with a lovely delicacy and subtle refinement by comparison. I always preferred RCA with my Dave and it is technically the purest output, but your amp may prefer XLR. So it depends upon your preference, your system and the sort of music you listen to and what you want from it. I suggest that you should get some RCA cables on a loan or sale and return and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 8
That sounds like a symptom of a poorly done balanced circuitry.

You folks have ID'd it and implemented the best solution avaikabke. Wonder if a following rev will fix it. I can't think of an example over the time I have favored balanced over SE that I have experienced anything like that.

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 8

You folks have ID'd it and implemented the best solution avaikabke. Wonder if a following rev will fix it. I can't think of an example over the time I have favored balanced over SE that I have experienced anything like that.
I end up trying some rca cables , yes there is a difference sound . The rca was more detail in the mid range and the sound stage was bigger , but I lost some depth to the music and the dynamic punch which I like also was thinned out . For me the xlr connection was better it gave me that big dynamic sound I like with more separation between instruments . So at the end of the trail I did over 2 weeks for me its xlr for some it would be rca different likes with different equipment all has different out comes .
432evo Aeon to Mscaler to Dave to Icon (pre ) to Ultima 6 , the only cable changed was used was from Dave to pre .

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 8

Dave is a single ended design. Converting to balanced loses a degree of transparency, but I can easily see that some would prefer to use XLR outputs as the OP has decided. It’s all a question of taste and synergy.

Sep 11, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Dave is a single ended design. Converting to balanced loses a degree of transparency, but I can easily see that some would prefer to use XLR outputs as the OP has decided. It’s all a question of taste and synergy.
Ahhh. Never used one, but certainly heard of it. I guess they added the XLR as a convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back