DAP Newb Question - best inexpensive option for non-streaming (storage and playback only)
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

maggiesbrother

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - I saw another thread of another first-time DAP buyer looking for a streaming DAP, but I'm looking for something that I can easily load digital files to from my hard drive without having to pay for itunes or other third party subscriptions.

I listen to 90% analog but have amassed a lot of digital files on my computer over the years and i'd like something that can hold them for portable use. I've seen some with micro sd cards (or dual cards) that can hold up to 800g, which is probably even more than I need. Looking for something that sounds good, easy to load/use, and has a decent battery life.

I've seen what look like decent used units on here in the $150-250 range, which is about what i'd want to spend.

Thanks a lot

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the response - fortunately I should only need a 500gb card, which are pretty cheap these days. Since I am not interested in streaming or any type of subscription service, would a newer, entry level one still be better? Realistically, anything that I get will be "entry level" but figured i'd get a potentially better DAC and components from one a few years old than a new one for the money. Per everything in audio, way too may choices, but seems Hiby is a well-respected/well-reviewed DAP so that may be the place to start looking. Thanks again

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Surfans f20. Straight up.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Hi - I saw another thread of another first-time DAP buyer looking for a streaming DAP, but I'm looking for something that I can easily load digital files to from my hard drive without having to pay for itunes or other third party subscriptions.

I listen to 90% analog but have amassed a lot of digital files on my computer over the years and i'd like something that can hold them for portable use. I've seen some with micro sd cards (or dual cards) that can hold up to 800g, which is probably even more than I need. Looking for something that sounds good, easy to load/use, and has a decent battery life.

I've seen what look like decent used units on here in the $150-250 range, which is about what i'd want to spend.

Thanks a lot

Check out the Sony A55. I bought mine at $130 USD during sales first hand.

The stock form is a bit meh. But Mr Walkman has kindly provided a free firmware update that unlocks its potential:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/
https://www.mrwalkman.com/

With the firmware update, region locks are unlocked (so no volume cap), and you can customize it to 4 different sound signatures - bright to neutral to warm. The stock sound is buttery smooth and warm like the Sony housesound, but with the custom firmware, technicalities, layering and imaging are better. It sounds like a midFI DAP with the
custom firmware.

There is 2 way BT (very stable), and battery life is about 32 hours.

The A55 however, only has single-ended output and cannot power too demanding transducers.

But if bang-for-buck is your priority, actually dongle DAC/AMPs generally provide better price-to-performance ratio compared to DAPs. Just plug them into a smartphone and you are good to go. The only issue is the smartphone's memory and battery life is going to be the limiting factor, but no biggie if you have SD cards or charging packs for the phone.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 14
But if bang-for-buck is your priority, actually dongle DAC/AMPs generally provide better price-to-performance ratio compared to DAPs. Just plug them into a smartphone and you are good to go. The only issue is the smartphone's memory and battery life is going to be the limiting factor, but no biggie if you have SD cards or charging packs for the phone.
Thanks for the response and suggestion. I actually have a decent dongle DAC/amp for my phone - I use it mostly for watching TV via bluetooth after the kid goes to bed but also when traveling. Works great if I have a good wifi connection but i'm looking for something where the files are on the device - and has a capacity large enough to hold at least 500gb (via miscro_sd). I've tried to load files onto the phone (iphone) but doesn't seem to be possible without a third-party subscription, which I don't want. Even so, as you mentioned above, then you run into battery life and storage issues using a phone. I'll check out the Sony - appreciate the suggestion.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 14

Thanks a lot
Hidizs AP80 Pro X is a product that is currently available. I bought it because it is small and has balanced output (which does sound better IMHO). I wrote about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-ap80-pro-x.25654/reviews#review-29163

If you are patient, new tiny DAPs from @Shanling are coming (M0 and M1s, if I recall correctly).

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Nov 29, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 14
Great, thanks - that seems like a good (non-streaming) option

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 14
I vote Sony NWa 55 !

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Great - thanks everyone. Yes, the A55 looks like it would fit the bill - not seeing any in my price range in the US. Seems to be a bunch for sale from Japan though. Thoughts on the A45? Is it just a lesser version of the A55 or another animal altogether?

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back