DAP for Driving Planars and Dongle DAC Advice / Recommendations
Jan 1, 2024 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Turbodub

New Head-Fier
Hi all - long-time listener, first-time caller :)

I was hoping to get some advice / recommendations on the best source/DAC/Amp for my situation. I listen to all sorts of music, but primarily rock, alternative, jazz, singer/songwriter, pop, and a bit of R&B. Live in NYC and travel a lot, so a large set-up with large footprint is just not realistic - would like it to be as portable as possible (allows me to move around the apartment and possibly take with me when I travel). I listen exclusively through Tidal (don't own any tracks), and when I sit down to listen I often poke around and jump between artists/albums.

All that to say, I think there are two options for me - a dongle DAC or a dedicated DAP. I'm considering getting both - a small dongle DAC that I can carry around with the ie900s in a nice, compact package + a dedicated DAP for when I'm at home or listening to headphones. I currently have Sennheiser ie900, Sony IER-Z1R, and Sennheiser HD6XX - but, importantly, am planning to buy either the Abyss Diana MR, Meze Empyrean II, or ZMF Atrium this year. A couple particular questions / asks for advice:

1) Dongle DAC: Any recommendations on dongle DACs that pair particularly well with the IE900? I'm using an iPhone 15 Pro, so one thing that's important is for the dongle to have independent volume control (the iPhone's volume steps are too large). A nice-to-have would be for it to be small enough that I can shove it in the case with the IE900 so it's all together in a small package. I like the sound of Questyle M15, but it lacked volume control. I thought the Cayin RU7 was OK. Haven't tried any others.

2) Dedicated DAP: Here's where I'm having the hardest time. Two requirements are (1) it's powerful enough that the DAP can drive the ZMF Atrium, Empyrean, and Diana MR and not leave anything on the table (planning to buy one of those 3 this year), and (2) has a snappy UI/performance that will allow for smooth navigation of Tidal. I've been considering the A&K SE300, A&K Kann Ultra, and Hiby R8 II. I'd like to keep this under $2K USD, but can go higher if there's a goldilocks product. Would very much appreciate any recommendations here. And in particular, is it even possible to find a DAP that's powerful enough to drive planars like the Diana MR, Empyrean II, Atrium or does that just not exist?

Thank you!

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 9
A caveat on A&K products. My $600 AK70, then one of its flagships, and even more expensive models like the Kann suddenly found themselves no longer playing Tidal because A&K didn't/couldn't update Android or work something out with Tidal.

https://theinvixion.com/blogs/news/update-on-issues-with-embedded-tidal-app-on-astell-kern-players

Their later "solution" was to suggest sending Tidal from the phone app to the AK70 via Bluetooth, a joke of a workaround. I have no idea whether those promised firmware updates for other models in the press release above ever happened.

I don't know what their current assurances are about Tidal -- and I don't know anything about HiBy policies -- but if you're going to be streaming, it's worth researching before you buy an expensive DAP.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 9

I was hoping to get some advice / recommendations on the best source/DAC/Amp for my situation. I listen to all sorts of music, but primarily rock, alternative, jazz, singer/songwriter, pop, and a bit of R&B. Live in NYC and travel a lot, so a large set-up with large footprint is just not realistic - would like it to be as portable as possible (allows me to move around the apartment and possibly take with me when I travel). I listen exclusively through Tidal (don't own any tracks), and when I sit down to listen I often poke around and jump between artists/albums.

All that to say, I think there are two options for me - a dongle DAC or a dedicated DAP. I'm considering getting both - a small dongle DAC that I can carry around with the ie900s in a nice, compact package + a dedicated DAP for when I'm at home or listening to headphones. I currently have Sennheiser ie900, Sony IER-Z1R, and Sennheiser HD6XX - but, importantly, am planning to buy either the Abyss Diana MR, Meze Empyrean II, or ZMF Atrium this year. A couple particular questions / asks for advice:

1) Dongle DAC: Any recommendations on dongle DACs that pair particularly well with the IE900? I'm using an iPhone 15 Pro, so one thing that's important is for the dongle to have independent volume control (the iPhone's volume steps are too large). A nice-to-have would be for it to be small enough that I can shove it in the case with the IE900 so it's all together in a small package. I like the sound of Questyle M15, but it lacked volume control. I thought the Cayin RU7 was OK. Haven't tried any others.

2) Dedicated DAP: Here's where I'm having the hardest time. Two requirements are (1) it's powerful enough that the DAP can drive the ZMF Atrium, Empyrean, and Diana MR and not leave anything on the table (planning to buy one of those 3 this year), and (2) has a snappy UI/performance that will allow for smooth navigation of Tidal. I've been considering the A&K SE300, A&K Kann Ultra, and Hiby R8 II. I'd like to keep this under $2K USD, but can go higher if there's a goldilocks product. Would very much appreciate any recommendations here. And in particular, is it even possible to find a DAP that's powerful enough to drive planars like the Diana MR, Empyrean II, Atrium or does that just not exist?

Thank you!
Well if you can wait a couple of months CanJam NYC will be back March 9th and 10th and can try out many yourself. I have a HiBy R6Pro and HiBy RS8 and both have no problems with the Atriums the Diana TC’s I think need a bit more but haven’t tried the MR’s with either yet . They are a bit more sensitive and probably should be ok .

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 9
I had the IE600 and the Tanchjim Space is the best measuring and sounding dongle I've ever heard. No beating it until you go to a Topping G5. I have one of them too, but it's heavy as a brick to carry, best in a laptop bag.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 9
For planars, the Topping G5 can't be beat when it comes to price to performance.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Have a iBasso DC Elite coming in a few weeks and should be good the iFi Diablo 2 is next on my list as my Diablo can run almost anything but yes is pretty big.

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated.

I‘d REALLY like to avoid getting separate components (like the iFi Diablo or Topping G5), I’m just not willing to deal with the multiple pieces for my situation. A dongle DAC is a different story since it’s so tiny and mobile.

I’ve seen all the positive feedback on the iBasso DC Elite - would that be powerful enough to run the Atrium or Diana MR to their full potential? I’ve been assuming no, but maybe I’m wrong!

More generally, I feel like I‘ve been traveling with the impression that most DAPs are right on the edge of being able to drive planars to their full potential - is that correct? I’m not quite sure how to think it - people seem to say that the HD6XX are power hungry, but I’ve never had to go beyond 75 out of 120 on volume when using them with my A&K SP2000T. Is all the talk about planars requiring a lot of power to realize their potential just a bit of exaggeration?

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 9
As you enjoyed the sound of Questyle M15, technically the best I've heard was Luxury & Precision W4. It is pricey but the most resolving dongle I've heard. For some it can easily trade blows with something like Mojo 2.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 9

Thank you!
Fiio M15S or Cayin N7. For dongles, the Cayin RU7 is pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back