Damn roommate. Is my Aiwa CR-LD101 fixable?
Feb 25, 2002 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
This past Friday my roommate and one of my other friends decided it would be a good idea to come in at 3am and spray shaving gel all over me while I was sleeping. Thet got a small amount on my face and a very large amount all over my comforter and the Aiwa.
frown.gif
So, I got a damp paper towel and cleaned it off, but now whenever I turn it on there's a great deal of background hiss. Anything I can do, aside from be happy that the dumbasses at least managed to miss my senns, d500se and ZOTL?

Dave...

...who is happy to only have 3 more months of this ****...

Feb 25, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
I think a beating is in order, anyone else agree? We can have Neruda go down there and show em a thing or two!
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 10
yes, it can be fixed by a large infusion of your roommate's cash into your account.

other than that, you can try the following.

First, do not use it any more! As soon as you heard the hissing you should have turned it off and removed the power source.

Second, open it up.

Now look for any cream or other nastyness on the circuitry and such. Next get a toothbrush ( a new one works best so yoiu don't get toothpaste on the insides of your awia) and some rubbing alcohol.

Gently brush down the circuitry with the alcohol, taking care to get into the odd nooks and places. Avoid LCD screens and such.

Let dry for a while (at least an hour). During this step you can administer a beating to your roommate.

Reassemble and test.

Remember that it is possible to destroy your hardware when you take it apart and attempt to clean it, so keep that in mind. It is pretty much useless to you with the hiss in it now anyway so I don't see why it isn't worth the risk.

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe the shaving gel should find its way into some of your roommate's stuff?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, I certainly agree that a beating is in order....

CaptBubba- I turned it off pretty much right away. I'll give that a shot tonight and report back........

dhwilkin- the problem is that I have way more cool **** than he does, and I don't want to put any more of my stuff at risk.
mad.gif
[immature mode] That's the only reason I didn't leave a two-pound brown poo log on his mattress a few months ago when he left a sweat-soaked crotchy-smelling pair of tightie whities on my bed. [/immature mode]

Dave

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Wouldn't giving him a beating also put your stuff at risk? Better to be subtle about it, so he's not sure it was you. Maybe wait a week or two, and put itching powder in his underwear or something.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Maybe wait a week or two, and put itching powder in his underwear or something.

Weren't inhuman acts such as that outlawed at the Geneva Convention?

Feb 26, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Bubba's idea works if you are careful. My wife bathed my PCDP in Gatorade and after a severe beating (just kidding
biggrin.gif
) I dissasembled the whole thing and cleaned it with alcohol. It works fine, except for the headphone jack and volumen control, but since it's hooked to an amp or used in the car that's no problem.

As for your roomate, try getting another one. He sounds like a stupid jerk to me.

Feb 26, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Damnit, I don't have a small enough screwdriver to open it up with. I'll have to wait until I get home next week. As long as I don't turn it on, does it make much of a difference if I wait to clean it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back