Dallas Meeting THIS WEEKEND!
Oct 7, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #31 of 34
I too have a Melos SHA-1 which is rather heavily modified. Extra set of RCA outputs, ALPS potentiometer, upgraded power cord. Overall the sound has a wonderful foundation and body to it but with excellent detail, though. It is important to note that this amp does sound on the warmish side, though. I'd love to compare it to the Sugden Headmaster or Headroom Max myself some day -- especially the Headmaster, as it seems the opposite of the Melos. I'll write a full review of my Melos -- as soon as someone buys my Wheatfield!

Oct 7, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 34
The fight's not over yet... two people from audiogon have made offers to sell their Melos to me. The one you got is just in better condition.

heheheh. next CA get together will have to be in SoCal. Getting to NoCal is a bit troublesome during school.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 34
Ahhh! You're going to be so happy with that Melos aeberbach. Chris's Melos was by far my favorite amp at the meet. I wish I got a chance to listen to it everyday like Chris
smily_headphones1.gif
It presents everything to you so smoothly. It's like a continously gushing waterfall of sound that just never stops filling your ears... like honey... so smooth and sweet. Ahh, hell, whatever, it was an awesome amp. And, it worked so well with both Senn's and Grado's... and that's a big plus considering how I've heard that the MG Head is bad with Grado's (I didn't get a chance to listen to the combo at the meet).

Like Nikolai said, I really did like the Max. It was also a sweet amp to listen to, and I wish I could have listened to it more. The only thing about it, as you all know, is that it's freakin expensive. I don't think I'd ever pay that much for it personally, but then again, if I just had large sums of money sitting around for some unknown reason, then I definitely would. The Cosmic had a similar sound, and if I wanted that Headroom sound, the Cosmic is probably the amp that I would buy. Also, the Cosmic+Panasonic portable+bag was awesome. For any of you wanting a killer portable rig like that, heh, go for it... I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

The MG Head was the amp I had been really wanting to listen to because I've been considering buying it once I get the money to do so. Anyway, it's a sweet amp. After listening to it, I'm definitely going to get one. I kind of wish it wasn't all decked out with those awesome tubes because I'll probably never pay that much for them, but it was definitely a treat to listen to. I'm a big fan of jazz, and this amp plus my Senn 580's would just do the trick for me all the time. I really can't wait to get one (unless I can somehow get a Melos for not too much). Now with some kinds of music, I just wouldn't want to listen to it. Like, I was listening to Bjork
biggrin.gif
ebut. I put it on track 5 (Like Someone in Love) and I really thought I was going to like it on the MG Head. Well, I didn't. I had listened to it on the Max earlier and really enjoyed how it sounded on that. Specifically, the plucking of the harp's strings had definition on the Max... but on the MG Head, it kinda... blah. But then, I was listening to Curtis Fuller:New Trombone (jazz), and I loved it on the MG Head. It was cool on the Max too, but I would rather listen to it on the Head.

The X-Cans... I just flat out didn't like it. Nikolai already knows that though
smily_headphones1.gif
As I said at the meet... I felt that everything was too run-together, too muddy for me. I think my Creek also does this to an extent, especially after listening to the Max, but not to the extent that the X-Cans does. It just felt like all the instruments or different sounds were fighting to get through to your ears, and they weren't doing so very successfully. Anyway, maybe rolling the tubes will help out a bit... or a lot. You're gonna have to tell us how that goes Nikolai. I hope it works for ya because $150 for an amp that sounds sweet would be cool.

Basically, different amps do their things better for you than others with different types of music. It's just what you prefer. I guess that goes for any kind of audio equipment as well.

I thank Chris and Aaron again for letting us use their apartment for the meet... oh, and also, thanks for the pizza.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: added some things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back