DAC "technology"? R2R or discrete chips?
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sidpost

Head-Fier
In the Asgard Schitt amp discussion, the subject of DAC options came up where references to the Modi Multibit at $250 versus the Modius $200 was mentioned. References to the sound differences left me with questions about what would be better for me. I listen to classical, jazz, country, light rock primarily and like a crisp full sound. A flat or techno flavor to the sound is not something I particularly enjoy.

While this topic is really Schitt centered, I am open to other independent DAC (no integrated options like an Asgard with a card) options in the same general price range.

TIA,
Sid

From the Asgard thread:
I have HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Headphones I want to drive in addition to some other single-ended options that I think will benefit from the Asgard. The question on the DAC is a bit ambiguous at a $200 price-point but, the Modius seems to be well rated compared to some others I looked at.

I have considered a Magnius/Modius combo as well but, the Asgard seems to be the better option. I am receptive to other options as well since I haven't committed to an amp/DAC yet.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I am confused.

1. A title: DAC "technology"? R2R or discrete chips?
First part: R2R is about specific type of multibit converter. It refers to a ladder of resistors of equal value R and 2R. No other nominations are required, only R and 2xR. More generic term is a multibit converter where ladder is made of a various resistance nominations using a different topology. A specific example is multisegment type where one segment of bit positions is arranged in R2R topology and the other segment use one of alternative methods.

Second part: Discrete chips? Do you mean using through-the-hole resistors instead of chip resistors (for surface mount asembly). Or you mean that ladder is made of discrete resitors versus a whole ladder plus switches being intergrated in one silicon?

2. In a message body your questions seems are completely unrelated to the title, you are quoting a comment about amplifier not a DAC. A posted link would clarify it perhaps. Asgard is the cheapest amp in the product line where amplifier is made of discrete parts. It means no opamps in the signal path and is important. Cheaper models make use of opamps. It is why Asgard is regarded much better.

I skimmed over some discussion and it looks like those who use Asgard with R2R DAC as a source value this amp higher than others. Some of them may use $200 multibit option, other indicated of using Asgard as the amp only.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 4
I really talking about the Schitt Multibit system with what I believe is an R2R or resister ladder style DAC system.

A better term for discrete chips is the Sigma design I think with various AKM TTL logic type solutions being the most common solutions.

The Schitt Asgard 3 has a card for the AKM4497 and the Multibit so it could go either way with a built-in solution. I want standalone components so, someone suggested the Modi Multibit which is an R2R against the Modius with its AKM solution.

I plan on getting the Asgard for the AMP only so, I'm looking at DAC solutions to pair with it. Modi Multibit, Modius or, other is the question.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Right, now is clear. Both are multibit type, but use opamps for I/V conversion and buffering, it is a cheap solution. You want to pair it with Asgard that use Class A amplifier (sort of). In my opinion it is not a good idea. I don't know much how $200 option is made, but it seems a better one. It goes to $400 though.

You get what you pay for, no other way. Unless you find something that is not heavily advertised, it will be a real cost saving. I suggest to try Audio GD R2R-11. It use the same DAC modules as $1100 R-28, it is a discrete R2R ladder with CPLD fast switching logic. No Schiit DAC is NOS, this is. Good for your type of music, it gives the best natural sound, rythm and harmonics you can get for a price. The amp section is a discrete pure class A amplifier. Powerful enough for most of headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back