[DAC] Styleaudio Carat-ruby and Carat-ruby 2
May 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

qedao

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I will share my experience with this two DAC`s that are very similar:

Sorry for my english.

I had the ruby1 and was pretty happy with it, the only reason I upgraded was the ability to play 24bit.

I use both with a PC via foobar2000 and asio4all to the usb and then to the headphone with a pair of gradso sr-225 or to marrantz pm-17 and kef q-30 via rca.

Ruby2 sounds a tad better than Ruby1 the difference is small but audible, both are good deal for the money (22,000 japanese yen sending fee included for ruby2, ruby1 is not on production anymore).

Most my files are flacs or high bitrate mp3 and with the above mention set up, any of my friends that dont care for audiophile staff can tell the difference between good and bad recordings, specially on the grados, but also on the speakers sometimes.

I also have the original digidesign m-box and I use it as headphone amp, with same set up on a different computer, while the ruby is more detailed than the m-box, there is something i like on the m-box headphone output, I would say is more energic, but probably at the expense of loosing a lot of response on certain frecuencies.

I tried the ruby with an imac using the toslink, and the sound was same if not worse than with the current setup of a pc via usb.

Cheers.

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back