DAC for Westone 3
Jan 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

abejaruco

New Head-Fier
Hi,

As you can see in my post counter I'm a totally noob here, although I've been reading posts here some time ago.

OK, the question: I've bought a Westone 3 to use mainly at work. I've bought a (not so hot) hotaudio mark IV AMP/DAC and have serious hissing problems (I even hear electrical noise when moving the mouse!!). I think it's due to the great sensibility of the IEM, isn't it?

Well, I'm looking for an AMP/DAC or just DAC, because this things doesn't need any amp at all. Am I right? Well, anyway, I need something that subtitutes the integrated realtek that comes with the computer and need that it doesn't add any hissing or electrical noise to my beloved tracks.

edit: My budget is under $300, but I can make exceptions. And, well, it's difficult, but I don't want it to be very showy as I would like to left it at the office (that's why I bought the spartan hotaudio).

I'm about to buy a iBasso D2 Boa from a friend, but I want to look at some different alternatives before buy anything.

As additional information I hear classical music: Mozart, Beethoven and all those guys without childhood. (you can check Abejaruco Music Profile Users at Last.fm if you're curious).

Thanks in advance to all and forgive my poor englich :wink:

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm using the iBasso D3 with my W3s and I think it sounds great. To me, the D3 allows the headphones to breathe and makes the W3s much more musical.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 14
I would steer away from the D3 and other Ibasso products for this purpose. the RF shielding is totally inadequate and there is a good chance you will get even more noise. the noise you are getting with moving the mouse around is called 'blitter' noise. google it.

and to clear up a misconception you have. all headphones need an amp, just some are sensitive enough and easy enough to drive that they can make do with the amp inside your dap. that is what people mean when they say such and such IEM doesnt need an amp. they are not saying it doesnt need an amp at all, they are saying hey possibly dont need an external amp. also the W3 are quite low OHM and highly sensitive, but they do appreciate amping quite a bit. they scale very well with what they are fed. check out headphoneaddict's amp/dac ratings thread. apparently the 3 move is getting good reviews and is within your price-range as well as the Practical Devices XM5. the pico amp/dac is the best solution IMO, but is outside your budget by a couple hundred.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 14
Thank you very much for the quick responses.

First of all I need to clarify that I don't need a portable amp. I don't know if there's anything better than a portable device in this price-range, but I'm open to anything.

qusp-> When you say to stay away from ibasso, you're just talking about the shielding, aren't you?

I've readed great reviews about them in headfi and I'll be able to test the ibasso before purchasing it. I mean, if I test it and don't hear any blitter or hissing or any awful noise, would I consider it as an option or do you still recommend me 3move or practical devices xm5?

Thanks again.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 14
I have had two iBasso D2 amps (Boa and Viper) crammed in next to my monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, laptop and desktop units, and also a Jasmine T-200 amp. Used with Westone 3s, and no interference of any sort. That doesn't mean it isn't happening here, just that I have not had the negative shielding experience recounted above.

I also agree that the Westones benefit from amping, and that either of the 2Move or 3Move would also be good choices. Pico is also excellent but a bit pricier.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Not so hot hotaudio mark iv.

Yes the hissing is caused by your very sensitive IEM. They don't need an amplifier at all per-sea.

They require only a few milliWatts to work.

The mark IV is way overkill for any IEMs.

Send the not so hot hotaudio40 mark iv back to me.

I'll give you a full refund, including shipping charges.

IEMs have a hyper-sensitive upper frequency range, and a lacking bottom end.

Think about the size of the transducer....

To really eliminate the hiss when feeding IEMs you need an amplifier specifically designed to eliminate 'hiss'. In other words get a DAC with a very low output power and perhaps an attenuated (filtered) upper frequency spectrum.

That will eliminate your hiss.

Perhaps I will make a IEM only headphone amp...

Contact me for a full refund.
I want ALL my customers to be satisfied!

hotaudio40

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Hotaudio products are very well reviewed here, but obviously they can't be perfect for all the different situations of the audio rig.
But what makes really good this brand, SQ apart, is this guy. Be a nice and cool dealer is really important.

Thumbs up for hotaudio!!!
smile_phones.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I try to stay cool.... but sometimes I loose it....

I am working on that....
smily_headphones1.gif

Patience is definitely a virtue!

I apologize for anyone I have offended or might offend in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry!

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Keeping on the idea of "don't be sticked to portable devices", I've read the multiple recommendations and the great review of mrarroyo on the O1, now called Octavart DAC/AMP, by Head-direct.

Would you consider it an option?? It's in the price-range and maybe I can get one for sale in the head-fi forums for about $160-$180.

Does anyone knows similar good options of desktop AMP/DAC for under-$300??

Thanks for helping this poor noob.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 14
What you really need to do is block this site and never come back! I'm trying to quit... But it is hard, they don't make patches for audiophiles.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so hot hotaudio mark iv.

Yes the hissing is caused by your very sensitive IEM. They don't need an amplifier at all per-sea.

They require only a few milliWatts to work.

The mark IV is way overkill for any IEMs.

Send the not so hot hotaudio40 mark iv back to me.

I'll give you a full refund, including shipping charges.

IEMs have a hyper-sensitive upper frequency range, and a lacking bottom end.

Think about the size of the transducer....

To really eliminate the hiss when feeding IEMs you need an amplifier specifically designed to eliminate 'hiss'. In other words get a DAC with a very low output power and perhaps an attenuated (filtered) upper frequency spectrum.

That will eliminate your hiss.

Perhaps I will make a IEM only headphone amp...

Contact me for a full refund.
I want ALL my customers to be satisfied!

hotaudio40

LOL W3 lacking bottom end. maybe they dont have the same amount of bass slam, but the W3 are far from lacking bottom end. Perhaps you should try some decent IEM's one day. I do think its really cool that you are doing what you are doing for the guy; but you really should get you facts straight. the pico is also not lacking power at all either. maybe not as much as some fullsize amp/dacs, but it powers fullsize headphones as good as many fullsize amps IMO

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 14
For this particular application, I highly recommend the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Good synergy with the Westone 3, little to no interference and noise issues, especially when attached via USB, super portable due to its thin form factor and low weight and finally it's highly affordable.

-Ed

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 14
I actually have an ibasso D2 Boa and a Hronet with me right now. And yes as gusp said, I think Westone 3 lacks bottom end, this is especially true if I use it with my iphone 3g( but it still sounds good IMO). About the RF problem, I have never experienced it with my Boa. and if you want to compare BOA and Hornet, I think Hornet will win because of its powerful bass. Maybe it's just me but when I compare Boa and Hornet, the difference that is very noticeable is the power and impact of the bass. It is very powerful in Hornet but it does not sound muddy at all. All in all, I prefer Hornet to Boa. But I am actually interested to hear some more opinions regarding this topic, especially comparison between Hornet and the new Mustang. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back