DAC/AMP recommendations DT 1990 Pros
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ayobreezie

New Head-Fier
Just got these headphones, looking for DAC/AMP suggestions.
Music/Gaming = 60/40.
Listen to mostly to chill EDM, classical/jazz, country, acoustics/vocal songs, hip hop/rap.

Currently considering Audio gd NFB 11.28? Leaning a little towards the R2R-11? Which would pair best with the DT 1990 Pros? Or if there are other recommendations?

Budget is $500ish.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 8
In april of 2019 I'll of had owned my 1990s for 2 years and since owning them I started off with them on a schiit stack modi2/magni2 and they seemed fine until I tried a modi multibit and realized that dac's make a noticeable difference especially in terms of instrument separation. I then read good things about tubing the 1990s and so I purchased a BHC w/ speedball and realized that this is what I needed to get that accurate yet warm sound sig and began tube rolling til I was happy with the mullard 6080 and a version of the mullard 12au7 that I felt was perfect for my desired signature. I was forced to sell the BHC and downgraded to a beyerdynamic A20 amp and kept the mimby which is still an improvement over the magni but doesn't give the 1990s as much warmth as the tube amp.

As for gaming with the a20/mimby setup I think it's brilliant and I couldn't ask for more of an audio edge in games like csgo or immersion in games like Squad.

Hope this helps some, I got most of my information from the specific amp and 1990 threads before making a purchase on anything. I've read a lot of good things about the nfb 11.28 but I also hear it may sound too analytical for an already bright 1990 but to each their own and good luck researching!

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I dont game with my DT1990 Pros, just doesnt feel right sonically for me. so for me its music/gaming 100/0 :p
but i currently use my Fostex HPA4 and it sounds good, soon i'll be upgrading to an RME ADI-2 DAC. its a bit more than 500$ tho.. but the Fostex is around 500$. i would probably look for something with good power+dac.

you could always try the JDS Labs "Element" for a single unit, or get a JDS Labs EL AMP + EL DAC as a combo unit. i would probably go for the combo unit as they're both separate and you're able to replace one or the other for a better one later down the road.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 8
I dont game with my DT1990 Pros, just doesnt feel right sonically for me. so for me its music/gaming 100/0 :p
but i currently use my Fostex HPA4 and it sounds good, soon i'll be upgrading to an RME ADI-2 DAC. its a bit more than 500$ tho.. but the Fostex is around 500$. i would probably look for something with good power+dac.

you could always try the JDS Labs "Element" for a single unit, or get a JDS Labs EL AMP + EL DAC as a combo unit. i would probably go for the combo unit as they're both separate and you're able to replace one or the other for a better one later down the road.

I didn't like the sound on games at first.. But after trying them again when switching from my k7xx/hd58x, I prefer them over both now. Definitely need some more time on them, but so far, they're probably my favorite cans. Just gotta find a nice dac/amp to pair with them and I'm set.

Zeos recommended me Massdrop x THX AAA 789 amp + Geshelli Enog2 Pro DAC.. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Just got these headphones, looking for DAC/AMP suggestions.
Music/Gaming = 60/40.
Listen to mostly to chill EDM, classical/jazz, country, acoustics/vocal songs, hip hop/rap.
Currently considering Audio gd NFB 11.28? Leaning a little towards the R2R-11? Which would pair best with the DT 1990 Pros? Or if there are other recommendations?
Budget is $500ish.
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 or R2R-11

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Thx for the replies.. Going with Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro + THX AAA 789 amp.

Recommendations on input connectors for DAC to amp? RCA to RCA, RCA to XLR balanced inputs or XLR to XLR balanced inputs? Will be listening unbalanced, single ended at least until I get headphones capable of balanced out..

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Thx for the replies.. Going with Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro + THX AAA 789 amp.

Recommendations on input connectors for DAC to amp? RCA to RCA, RCA to XLR balanced inputs or XLR to XLR balanced inputs? Will be listening unbalanced, single ended at least until I get headphones capable of balanced out..
Ive heard geshelli lab products get some noise when listening at certain volumes. you'd have to let me know if you hear hisses or crackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back