Dac/amp for Sennheiser HD660S
Jan 24, 2023 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Janala

New Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser HD660S paired with Fiio Q3 but would like to upgrade. What dac/amp do you say is best for these headphones?
Some say that I will not hear any significant difference with a more expensive and better dac/amp but is this really true?

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Budget?

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 11
I have an ifI Diablo that does exceptionally well with my HD600 and I imagine would be just as well with the HD660S, frankly it does well with everything I own.

That said, you will get a lot better bang for buck in terms of sound quality by putting the money into the headphones.

To my ear the differences in DACs and amps are nowhere near what you would imagine based on the way some people talk, the laws of diminishing returns bite hard very early on.

Perhaps you could upgrade the DAC/Amp to something good, a little more powerful, but more modest and put the saved money into your future headphone budget.

The Fiio K7 gets excellent reviews and comments from real world users.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 11
I have the Sennheiser HD660S paired with Fiio Q3 but would like to upgrade. What dac/amp do you say is best for these headphones?
Some say that I will not hear any significant difference with a more expensive and better dac/amp but is this really true?

Hello Janala,

If you like the HD660S, keep them. They are nice phones. They are not hard to drive, but do benefit with amplification. I would recommend the Vali 2. Way under your budget and spanks all my phones, including the HD650s.

Cheers!

Vali 2+ & JAN 6CG7 & Senn HD660S.jpg
Vali 2+ & Senn HD650 & Senn HD660S.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back