DAC/AMP for Sennheiser HD 650
Nov 9, 2016 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shefsta

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I'm upgrading from my ATX-M50xs and I think I'm going to go with the Sennheiser HD 650s.  What I am not clear is if I need a DAC/AMP and if I do, the choices are pretty overwhelming.  I'm not looking to drop $1000 on a DAC/AMP when the headphones are $350, but would be willing to spend $200-$300.

These headphones would be for PC and occasionally home theater use.  I have a Gigabyte GA-ZI70x board (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov).  Would the amp on the board be good enough to power the HD 650s at a reasonable level or do I absolutely need a separate DAC/AMP?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hey all,

So I'm upgrading from my ATX-M50xs and I think I'm going to go with the Sennheiser HD 650s.  What I am not clear is if I need a DAC/AMP and if I do, the choices are pretty overwhelming.  I'm not looking to drop $1000 on a DAC/AMP when the headphones are $350, but would be willing to spend $200-$300.

These headphones would be for PC and occasionally home theater use.  I have a Gigabyte GA-ZI70x board (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov).  Would the amp on the board be good enough to power the HD 650s at a reasonable level or do I absolutely need a separate DAC/AMP?

Thanks in advance!

While Sennheiser's series are known to be amazing with tube-amps, the HD650's are ones where I'd 'generally' recommend a solid-state due to it's inherent warmth.
If you want to spend 200-300, I'd say get the Schiit Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber, or go look for a JDS Labs Element.
The on-board sound would have trouble powering the HD650s well. Sure, you can hear everything. But wowww, will it be bad.
The reason being: these headphones have an impedance of 300 ohms (really high tbh).

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 4
I would also recommend the Schiit stack. Go for a Vali 1/2 if you prefer a warmer sound signature.

Also the Audio-GD nfb11 is good all in one and in your price range.

Would definitely not recommend using on board sound except in the interim of looking for a better setup.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys! I actually ordered the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack yesterday so glad to have confirmation that was a good choice. All the gear is arriving Saturday and I'm stoked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back