DAC/Amp combo help
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

alphaod

Head-Fier
I had issues with my Bithead, so I sent it in for repair; in the mean time, I asked about the Micro DAC and using it and then using the Bithead as an amp. I was told that this would not work and I should buy the Airhead.

So what's the deal? Will this set up work? I talked to another agent and I was told that I should get the Micro Amp first and that I could use the Bithead as the DAC first.

So I'm getting conflicting solutions—which one is better? My main source will be my computer; if I keep using the Bithead, I would be using USB of course; if I get the micro DAC with the Airhead, I would using Toslink optical.

I don't think my wallet could support buying a micro DAC and amp at the same time.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 9
If you use the Bithead as the DAC, you'll not have a lineout for sending the analog signal to a Micro Amp. You'll be using a headphone output. I'd personally not recommend this.

It would be better to get the Micro DAC and then use a 1/8" to 1/8" cable to connect the MicroDAC to the Bithead's Line Input. You can then listen with the Bithead's amp. Of course, I'd assume this to be an interim arrangement until you're able to get an amp worthy of the MicroDAC, like the Micro Amp?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 9
You should be able to use the micro DAC with the bithead just fine. Plug the 1/8th output to the input on the bithead with the mini-mini cable from your bithead.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys; well I just got a nice refund check today, so... it looks like I ended up with the micro DAC and amp...

Now the astrodyne power supply... what's the benefit of that?

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 9
The Astrodyne will improve the performance of your stack so that you better approximate the best sound that you can get out of them.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Oh what fun your about to have! As good as the Bithead/Airhead family are, the Micro Stack blows the ball out of the freaking park. Enjoy!
Kevin

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh what fun your about to have! As good as the Bithead/Airhead family are, the Micro Stack blows the ball out of the freaking park. Enjoy!
Kevin

Agreed.
biggrin.gif
It is certainly not a small difference, especially where dynamics are concerned.

The default power bricks are no slouch either. You should be happy enough with them, but the astrodyne makes a nice upgrade when you've got a spare $200 lying around.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Cool guys; thanks for that. Yeah maybe in the future.

Now one more question:
Should I "burn-in" the amp/DAC? If so approximately how long should that be?

Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool guys; thanks for that. Yeah maybe in the future.

Now one more question:
Should I "burn-in" the amp/DAC? If so approximately how long should that be?

Thanks again.

My Ultra Micro Stack sounded fabulous from the beginning. Same for the Micro Amp and SpitFire DAC that I was using prior to that.

When you get them, simply enjoy them. If you find that they're sounding better with time, then all the better.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe it's down to burn in of the equipment or your increasingly burning devotion to their sound.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back