TOUR CLOSED - CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8.2 and Ei.XX
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #181 of 246
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #182 of 246
I live in Palo Alto, CA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. You have my information from current Lime Ears tour. Thank you!

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #183 of 246
I live in Palo Alto, CA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. You have my information from current Lime Ears tour. Thank you!
added

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #184 of 246
I received the demo kit today. Will mail it out to the next recipient when done with it. I emailed the next recipient about what we discussed regarding my situation Barra.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #185 of 246
Hard to find fault in the H8.2. It is CustomArt's flagship, so I was expecting that much. I think the highs are not too bright or dark. I've also heard forward treble as well, and wouldn't consider it that much forward. I think not being so forward and happy medium in the bright/darkness range meakes it a easy to listen iem.

Also, it sounds easier on the modern pop/electronic music genre. Sometimes depending on the source in combination with iem you get some piercing lower treble characteristics, but H8.2 is easy on that. It has high clarity, and pretty balanced iem. There are enough bass, but not too much.

I was surprised how small it was. I like the smaller form factor.

Unfortunately, I listened to the H8,2 before switching over to the Ei.XX. Ei.XX sounds warmer, but bloated warmth than type of warmth that adds body. You can hear it in the treble area sounding distinct and standing out from the rest of the spectrum. So, the Ei.XX's response doesn't seem to be all that blended well(at least not to the level of H8.2). The Warmth is more of sub-bass type warmth rather than upper bass warmth that adds body to the mids. All in all, Ei.XX sound has more bass, and ambiance is low end bass filled. The treble is not as tight as the H8.2, and less resoluted, being bold sounding probably due to the H8,2 having a better extension.

For the reasons above, H8.2 seems to be an easy listening experience, it doesn't have those parts of the spectrum that seems offensive that can cause fitigue over long listen without sacrificing the highs by dipping it so low to create a dark signature. For my preference, the mids/treble area sounds slightly leaner. Slightly more body would improve at least for me. What you get in return from this is greater clarity though as it's one of the most clear sounding iem I've ever heard.

I wish I can keep these. Hard to put down when I start listening to them :L3000:

On a sidenote, I can hear some differences even slight bore size differences. Sometimes the interior of the bore has more of a curvature. Out of the kit, the shure olive type tips works the best for me. I find olive shaped tips to be most ideal. I then switch over to another set of tips that had slightly wider bore, and it tamed the upper mids treble a bit.

I don't know if people have same experiences, but the narrower the bore, highs seems more emphasized especially the upper part of the lower treble. This is generally the case with iems.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #186 of 246
Hard to find fault in the H8.2. It is CustomArt's flagship, so I was expecting that much. I think the highs are not too bright or dark. I've also heard forward treble as well, and wouldn't consider it that much forward. I think not being so forward and happy medium in the bright/darkness range meakes it a easy to listen iem.

Also, it sounds easier on the modern pop/electronic music genre. Sometimes depending on the source in combination with iem you get some piercing lower treble characteristics, but H8.2 is easy on that. It has high clarity, and pretty balanced iem. There are enough bass, but not too much.

I was surprised how small it was. I like the smaller form factor.

Unfortunately, I listened to the H8,2 before switching over to the Ei.XX. Ei.XX sounds warmer, but bloated warmth than type of warmth that adds body. You can hear it in the treble area sounding distinct and standing out from the rest of the spectrum. So, the Ei.XX's response doesn't seem to be all that blended well(at least not to the level of H8.2). The Warmth is more of sub-bass type warmth rather than upper bass warmth that adds body to the mids. All in all, Ei.XX sound has more bass, and ambiance is low end bass filled. The treble is not as tight as the H8.2, and less resoluted, being bold sounding probably due to the H8,2 having a better extension.

For the reasons above, H8.2 seems to be an easy listening experience, it doesn't have those parts of the spectrum that seems offensive that can cause fitigue over long listen without sacrificing the highs by dipping it so low to create a dark signature. For my preference, the mids/treble area sounds slightly leaner. Slightly more body would improve at least for me. What you get in return from this is greater clarity though as it's one of the most clear sounding iem I've ever heard.

I wish I can keep these. Hard to put down when I start listening to them :L3000:

On a sidenote, I can hear some differences even slight bore size differences. Sometimes the interior of the bore has more of a curvature. Out of the kit, the shure olive type tips works the best for me. I find olive shaped tips to be most ideal. I then switch over to another set of tips that had slightly wider bore, and it tamed the upper mids treble a bit.

I don't know if people have same experiences, but the narrower the bore, highs seems more emphasized especially the upper part of the lower treble. This is generally the case with iems.
Great impressions!

I don't know if the other models are the same, but with my universal Ei.3 I find they are very sensitive to the type of tip used and how they sit in my ear. Even a small difference between left and right is noticeable. For general use and comfort I use the silicone tips with the red core, but when I want to hear my Ei.3 as close as possible to the CIEMs I will use the double flange. The double flange are a bit of a headache though, as I find them very fiddly to get in right. Once they are, they are both comfortable and sound very good, especially clarity is improved by them.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case with other universal models. It's just that since switching to universal fit I feel like they really are meant to be CIEMs with the fit and angle having a significant impact on sound quality, which could explain why well-fitting double flange tips work so well.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #187 of 246
After extended listen of the H8.2, I enjoy listening to it. Fits my taste very well. It does well with many genres.

It's on the polite side and like that it doesn't get offensive.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #188 of 246
I liked listening to 8.2 the ei.xx was good but not to my taste.

The bass on 8.2 had good quality and would have liked a little, just a little more quantity. Similarly I wish the highs had some more extension and air.

The voice clarity was awesome. A little more presence in the upper mids and treble could have been nice. I feel the tonality and timbre could be better as that would have put 8.2 to compete on the levels of the other totl competitors. That's one area where 8.2 would get bested by the competition.

But the big thing of this item is rather two things being small. The size of this iem and its price.

Most of the competition has insane prices and Piotr is one sane man out there guarding our wallets. So when the price to performance is considered, this iem is way up in the top. That's a great achievement indeed.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #189 of 246
It does sound like shrill area is dropped a bit, but without sacrificing the treble to the point of making it sound dark. Just imagine the region where it creates the uncomfortable shreaky sounds dropped a bit, but not to the point like Audeze to sound hollow, or burying the vocals.

If you like electronic genre, this would be a fun IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #190 of 246
I liked listening to 8.2 the ei.xx was good but not to my taste.

The bass on 8.2 had good quality and would have liked a little, just a little more quantity. Similarly I wish the highs had some more extension and air.

The voice clarity was awesome. A little more presence in the upper mids and treble could have been nice. I feel the tonality and timbre could be better as that would have put 8.2 to compete on the levels of the other totl competitors. That's one area where 8.2 would get bested by the competition.
Did you try a cable such as Ares II or Ares II+? I was really impressed what the Ares II did for my Ei.3 and I have seen many comments on how well the H8.2 synergise with the Ares II and II+.
But the big thing of this item is rather two things being small. The size of this iem and its price.

Most of the competition has insane prices and Piotr is one sane man out there guarding our wallets. So when the price to performance is considered, this iem is way up in the top. That's a great achievement indeed.
As much as I like dreaming about the various options for a TOTL setup, I think the H8.2 is my most realistic option for just for this reason. In terms of price/performance I have found my Ei.3 to be amazingly good value, even when considering the extra expense for the Ares II, and I have no doubt that the H8.2 will offer similar value. That is something that is very hard to ignore!

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #191 of 246
I haven't tried any custom cable with it. Will try it once I get my own 8.2

Like harmony 8.2, there are few other iems around the same price range that offer excellent, balanced sound. Hopefully the audiophile world will come back to $1000 price range and not the insane $2000, $3000 stuff.

What Piotr and few others have shown is that details, sound stage, extension in low and high end, balanced sound signature, tonality and timbre can still be outstanding and still keep the price in the sane range of less than $1500.

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #192 of 246
I just heard from my audiologist (the wonderful Gisele Flower) that she is getting some IEMs in for me to demo and the H8.2 will be part of that as well, so I will soon be able to hear them for myself. Looking forward to that! Just a shame my Ares II is not here yet.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #193 of 246
After more listening I realized that the treble isn't so balanced as much as I prefer. I know that Diana Krall's voice can have sharp sibilance, and with the 8.2, it sounds more significant, and it's likely due to upper treble being suppressed a bit(like I've mentioned it's not bright or dark, and it doesn't push to the point of being considered forward majority of the lower treble section). This is also a reason that the violin string sounds sharp, but lacking a bit of body.

So, depending on the recording, like my example being Diana Krall, the treble can sound uneven due to certain parts of the lower treble being lowered, but this also suppresses from harshness, but not sharpness. I think the sharpness is there to have some backbone in the treble area, but depending on what kind of sound it is, and if for example the recording has pronounced sibilance in that part, it can sound a bit sharp.

So, the treble isn't completely easy going across the whole lower treble region, but majority except the region that can cause sharp sounds.

This is just some additional info that should have been in the previous review.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #195 of 246
After more listening I realized that the treble isn't so balanced as much as I prefer. I know that Diana Krall's voice can have sharp sibilance, and with the 8.2, it sounds more significant, and it's likely due to upper treble being suppressed a bit(like I've mentioned it's not bright or dark, and it doesn't push to the point of being considered forward majority of the lower treble section). This is also a reason that the violin string sounds sharp, but lacking a bit of body.

So, depending on the recording, like my example being Diana Krall, the treble can sound uneven due to certain parts of the lower treble being lowered, but this also suppresses from harshness, but not sharpness. I think the sharpness is there to have some backbone in the treble area, but depending on what kind of sound it is, and if for example the recording has pronounced sibilance in that part, it can sound a bit sharp.

So, the treble isn't completely easy going across the whole lower treble region, but majority except the region that can cause sharp sounds.

This is just some additional info that should have been in the previous review.
That is really interesting because I recently realised something similar with my Ei.3 and thought it was probably more down to my treble sensitivity. There is a hint of sharpness in the treble, despite the signature being very smooth and organic. I notice it with some vocals, in particular certain sopranos, and indeed with violins and the higher keys on a piano. What surprised me was that when I used the Ares II that sharpness was reduced and the smoothness went from wooly to honey-like. Interesting to see your thoughts with the H8.2 are similar.
Exactly in line with how I heard the treble. If it had some more extension in the treble area it would have been better.
And that is exactly what the Ares II does, it improves treble extension. Very interesting! Perhaps the reason why I have seen a few comments floating around that the H8.2 with Ares II 8-wire is an amazing pairing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back