Custom fit earbuds
Feb 24, 2022 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

stevenmichael

New Head-Fier
I just thought I would add this to the DIY section if anyone uses earbuds and are tired of them falling out or losing sound from them because of the fit . I'm a dental lab tech so I'm use to making impressions of things so I started doing this to my earbuds . Any alginate impression material will work to get a impression of your ear . Just stick a little cotton in your ear hole first and take fill your ear with alginate then pour it with plaster and you have a impression of your ear in a stone model . I use silicone to make the custom earbud housing , I put thin clear tape over the holes front and back of the earbuds so nothing gets inside . I fill the ear model with silicone and press the earbud into the silicone so it covers the part that will hold it in place. Like you can see in the photos if you use a round type bud I cover over top so it will hold it in place . If its a straight bud just push it in till it covers that area . Once it sets up after a few minutes just pull it out of the mold and cut out the inside and make a hole so the sound can come out and into your ear . A dremel with a carbide round tip will work just fine . I have been doing this for a while and I have found out that the hole size and the space below the speaker hole in the earbud does does make a difference in the sound . If you don't cut out enough room on the inside you lose the bass sound . That's really al there is to it . The fit is so good its kind of hard to get them out of your ear . You have to get your fingers behind the housing by bending your ear back to get them out . I have a pair of older jaybirds that sound really good but because of the weight of the battery/control panel they keep falling out , but with the custom fit housing jogging or working out with them they aren't going anywhere. The custom fit really seals off the noise also . It really makes the earbuds like a noise canceling earbud . They work better than my sony wh-xb900n's over the ear noise canceling headphones .

Attachments

• earbud1 .jpg
    earbud1 .jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
  • earbud2.jpg
    earbud2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • earbud3.jpg
    earbud3.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 0
  • earbud4.jpg
    earbud4.jpg