Custom Cable - my first HiFI shop visit in years
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Takeanidea

Headphoneus Supremus
My thanks go out to @ejong7- our talented head volunteer from last years London CanJam, and to @PhilW our resident expert from Custom Cable and a real asset to headfi.
First of all , it was a doddle to get on at Waterloo and be in New Malden shopping centre in 20 minutes flat. I then spent 20 minutes walking past the place.... It is being refurbished and there is no sign saying Custom Cables. I mean to everyone else it would have been obvious I was there but not to yours truly.....
Phil has been very supportive of the oBravo brand and I have had a try with 4 of these now. I own a pair of ERIB 2as. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm a fan of the clarity and the sound stage. 
Phil left Eu Jin (@ejong7) and I to it and I have to confess we spent an awful long time nattering. I was equipped with a spare Mojo as mine had run out of juice and thankfully Phil kept me hydrated on what was a scorcher of a day in the Capital. We ran through a few tunes using my Ibasso DX100 and various IEMs and of course I had to try the full sized oBravo. Eu Jin had his open and closed Ethers which were exquisite ; of course I preferred the open model bit being an owner of AKG K1000s HD800s and HE6s that would be no surprise. The full sized EAMT oBravos were not my cup of tea they had a rather hollow presentation. They look amazing. They may be for you but for me I was disappointed.
Phil gave me an idiots guide to cables , he is one of those rare people that can cut through the stuff that loses many of us non technical folk and get right to the crux of the thing. I shan't go into the discussion as it tends to attract controversy but I get you Phil I really think I do.
I was given as a parting gift a taste of a PMC speaker system that retails at £70,000. It was one of the most amazing hifi experiences of my tender young 49 year old life.
Unless the Smyth Realiser comes equipped with some very strong narcotics I just have to say here and now there is a point where headphones leave quietly by the side door and the real stuff turns up

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 2
Sounds like a fun trip. Now I must hear more about what you and @ejong7 listened to.
L3000.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back