Cue Splitter Help!
Jun 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

juantendo8

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have a ton of albums and music that consists of one .flac or .ape file accompanied by the corresponding .cue file. (More than 50 GB actually
tongue_smile.gif
.) Now I want to split these files into separate tracks with a cue splitter because I want to be able to use them for portable use. Many people advertise medieval cue splitter but I have heard some less than positive things about this program. I have no idea if they are founded or not. I also have just started using Foobar2000 and have heard that you can split cue files through there. Basically, what I want to ask is:

1. Do I risk deteriorating the quality of my lossless files by splitting them?

2. Is Medieval Cue Splitter truly less reliable than other splitting methods? I hear this is the most user friendly (i.e. best for the technically impaired) program to use.

3. If it is possible to split through Foobar2000, how would I go about this process? I think this would be the most convenient method since I use Foobar all the time.

Thank you all for your input.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 13
1. no
2. no
3. no idea :)  i use medieval all the time and it's a great tool

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 13
Just open the cue file in foobar, select all tracks, right-click and choose convert -> "..."
There you can select your options. If you choose a lossless format and disable all the DSP the output should be bit identical to the original (you can use the binary comparator to make sure). You'll need the command line encoder for the format you use, which you can usually find by googling. I just use flac.

Foobar uses the "include pretrack gap in the end of the previous track" method for splitting (and playback).

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 13
I use XRecode II for .cue splitting. It's about as easy as you can get. Open the .cue sheet, tell it what format you want the tracks in (FLAC, APE, Wavepack, etc), and what compression level, and go. It includes multi-core support so it's very fast. It's also brilliant at lossless format conversion, and is not detrimental to the sound in any way.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 13
I don't think Medival is a great tool.

Known bug: MPC engine can cause a bit of jitter at the beginning/end of tracks.

I think the best way to split is:

1. decompress to wav

2. EAC - Tools - Split WAV By CUE Sheet - With Gaps

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 13
Nov 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 13
  ok didn't know that. will use foobar from now on .
thanks

you are bound to run into problems if you use japanese/russian/arabic/ what exotic alphabet you want. It happens sometime open that foobar cannot open the cue file because it is in another languace that cannot be read by your sistem languace. For example, i am using ENG for system. But i take, say Mad Heads albums. they are an ukraine rockabilly band that is recorded in more than audiophile quality. foobar can open almost all albums, but on one album, it just does't read the cue file because of songs name encoding.

i used xerecode 2, but if i tried to convert the same album, it destroyed the names with symbols. Still i am in search of perfect splitter. Medieval cue adds jitter. Happened to me in a LOT of songs.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 13
You can use open any language for non-Unicode cue files, just use correct system locale (Win 7): Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative
But since almost everything is Unicode nowadays I had no issues to open any European cue files in foobar, no matter what accent letters were there.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 13
  You can use open any language for non-Unicode cue files, just use correct system locale (Win 7): Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative
But since almost everything is Unicode nowadays I had no issues to open any European cue files in foobar, no matter what accent letters were there.

one reason or another, russian never worked for me as it should. some files worked even in russian, but some did not. never got to what was going wrong with my files.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 13
  one reason or another, russian never worked for me as it should. some files worked even in russian, but some did not. never got to what was going wrong with my files.

Most likely encoding of cue file - ANSI should work, UTF and Unicode won't.
But they will look the same in Notepad.
You can try to save cue file in ANSI encoding and check if that helps.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Found the best solution 
biggrin.gif

Whatever F2K can't convert so well, you can do with CueTools, but you have to also use Mp3TAG to redo the tags then use F2K to convert the files. A very little bit of backwards way of doing it - but it works nicely and now you can listen to your favorite music even if it's in russian or other language that uses special characters! 

This seems to be a problem especially if Windows language is not set to the same as the songs are in F2K. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back