Crossfeed: Foobar vs. Modified Linkwitz
Sep 14, 2004 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bg4533

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently I run a Chaintech AV710 to ATH-A500s without an amp. All music is played through Foobar using the included Crossfeed. I am looking to build a Pimeta and am considering adding a Modified Linkwitz crossfeed to it. Since Foobar's crossfeed is of course free and the Linkwitz will take time and money to build I am wondering which way to go.

Putting time and money aside, what are the ups and downs of software crossfeeds and hardware crossfeeds? I am guessing there isn't a clear cut winner, but I am wondering if hardware crossfeeds even have a purpose when using a computer as source. I am in college and lack space and money, so my computer will remain my source for at least a few more years.

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't speak for the Linkwitz, but I prefer the foobar one myself, but it is a lot more subtle than the crossfeed in my SuperDual.

Scott

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 4
The one drawback I can see is that anything not played through Foobar won't have crossfeed. I use a software DVD player for my music DVDs and even though it's subtle, I kind of miss having the crossfeed.

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadkenny64
The one drawback I can see is that anything not played through Foobar won't have crossfeed. I use a software DVD player for my music DVDs and even though it's subtle, I kind of miss having the crossfeed.

Why not use the Dolby Headphone setting? That's techically crossfeed (though it's more binarual processing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back