Critique my Custom Speaker Box Setup
May 9, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #31 of 41
How do I figure out all that stuff? Once again this isnt just for a sub, im basically making a bookself speaker, arent i?

With the calculator, how do I figure everything out?

Also, the sound seems to chop out at high volumes, meaning it sounds like its skipping. Is this cause of the wires im using? Should I use thicker or thinner wires? Alsmost done guys, I found MDF so gonna build it soon. Thanks

May 10, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #32 of 41
If they are cutting off that means that their under powered. If I'm right they cut off when the bass hits. Am I correct? If so the amp your using is can't put out the power input of the speakers. The original wattage of speakers. OK! Just to let you know that a set a of speakers are rated to a certain wattage. Peak power and RMS power. Anything over peak the speaker might blow! Anything under RMS and you get the cut off. So if a speaker is rated at a 100 watts PEAK you want half!(50 watts RMS) But if the speaker is rated at a 100 watts RMS a go half the speakers will not work(PEAK will be about 200 watts). So make sure the amp can push about a little more then half of the peak power of all the speakers. It all depends on the kind of amp you are using to.It can be a mono amp for a sub or a multi-channel amp for a set of speakers or a sub. In my SUV I had two 4 channel amps for my 4 12" subs. Each sub has voice coils at 4Ω. But because each sub can have 2 channels and have voice coils I can bridge the sub to 2Ω .So I have adequate power at all times. There always a way to to get the right power just how you go about getting that power and how much to use is the tricky part. BTW when your done how about some pics.

May 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are cutting off that means that their under powered. If I'm right they cut off when the bass hits. Am I correct? If so the amp your using is can't put out the power input of the speakers. The original wattage of speakers. OK! Just to let you know that a set a of speakers are rated to a certain wattage. Peak power and RMS power. Anything over peak the speaker might blow! Anything under RMS and you get the cut off. So if a speaker is rated at a 100 watts PEAK you want half!(50 watts RMS) But if the speaker is rated at a 100 watts RMS a go half the speakers will not work(PEAK will be about 200 watts). So make sure the amp can push about a little more then half of the peak power of all the speakers. It all depends on the kind of amp you are using to.It can be a mono amp for a sub or a multi-channel amp for a set of speakers or a sub. In my SUV I had two 4 channel amps for my 4 12" subs. Each sub has voice coils at 4Ω. But because each sub can have 2 channels and have voice coils I can bridge the sub to 2Ω .So I have adequate power at all times. There always a way to to get the right power just how you go about getting that power and how much to use is the tricky part. BTW when your done how about some pics.

Its a 15w rms x 2 channel amp. I had to get a mono converter, because their is no, I'll say computer to split up the signals. ie left sound goes to 1 chan, right goes to the other, so now I have a mono feed going into both channels. So to continue, the speakers are 5 watts each, doesnt say rms or peak. So if I hook up 2 to a channel, and its 15 w rms a channel, I should be fine, no? Also the sub is 15 rms so its *spot on* Should I try without the equalizer? I think its maybe a bit to underpowered to make full use of the crossover just because it has to hit certain frequencies. Ill try it out, I actually dont have an ipod yet, so I wont know, I'm using my cellphone to test it out with. Ill be getting my piece's of wood cut next week, I'll just need to get the circles cut after, very precise job so I'll need to make sure all my calculations are correct. I have found clear silicone to cover up the edges so it will be air tight.

Just confirmed, it ONLY cuts out when the crossover is connected. So, do I really need it? If anything only the sub could blow? But then again, its only 15 watts, so does it make that much of a difference? Which leads me to my next question, do I need to make the input mono then? If the sub is running without a crossover, then I should be able to give it its own channel, or is it still better to split up both channels into mono? I will also put the port in the back, since that's how most bookself speakers have it, no?

nd I still need help with that calculator. If I dont need the crossover, I can make the box smaller if need be. But how do I figure out all of those numbers? I only have the specs for the sub (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/232&cl=au,en) I cant find the link to the 2 speakers, there a very old yamaha 2.0 set, maybe 10 years old. I had the link, but lost it in my history. Almost done guys, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, watching this build...

Nice, glad to see some enthusiasm, I cant wait for it to be done

May 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #35 of 41
I e-mailed Logitech for some of those specs I need for the calculations, but they said its *classified* so I guess I'll just make it a bit bigger than the original box. Still need to know if I need a crossover or not.

May 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #37 of 41
fault151;4201445 said:
I wouldn't port the box, you will get a much more balanced sound from a sealed enclosure. The port will just make it boom.

And are you sure about not including the port? The sub sounds weaker than the speakers, so wont the port help it out? Still need to know about the crossover - whether to include it or not. Once I know I can buy the wood and get it cut.

BTW - I'm going to document my entire build, with pics!

May 16, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #39 of 41
Sup PuZo! If using the crossover is giving you problems you can use frequency blockers capacitor with frequency limitations. Now I don't know if they make them for your uses but if they do try that. Amp with built in crossovers can be good or bad at times. The capacitors can give cleaner sound if done right. But a all-in-one amp with crossover is a wire and get it done with rout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back