Critique my Custom Speaker Box Setup
May 3, 2008 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

PuZo

Head-Fier
Okay, so just to quickly clarify. I am making small portable speakers for my ipod. In the diagram you will see where everything goes.

I would like to know if my setup will function to its best potential. I am not looking for *professional tuning* just the best I can do by visually looking at it.

Quick info about the diagram.

1. Speakers are small mid-range speakers from stereo computer speakers
2. Sub is from Logitech x-240
3. Cone is also from Logitech x-240
4. Box is roughly the same size as the Logitech x-240, so I can use the same cone
5. Amp is to power everything
6. PSU is the power brick for the amp, I will be able to plug it in on the outside of the box from AC.
7. The crossover can be moved up and down against the back wall, or elsewhere

last, with the placement, the amp has the option of running off batteries, so I would need a convenient way of putting some in. my current placement is placing the amp upside down and I'll put a latch on there so I can open it up or something like that.

EVERYTHING IS TO SCALE, you cant see it but it is. THANKS!!

11659724pf0.png

May 4, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 41
i would put the mids each in thier own respective cabinets (internally) to avoid interference from the woofer. i would also have the woofer front firing.

May 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it need/have any venting? For either sound or heat?

No, but isnt having a port gonna make the woofer sound better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would put the mids each in thier own respective cabinets (internally) to avoid interference from the woofer. i would also have the woofer front firing.

What do you mean cabinet? As in put it in its own box and basically only have 2 openings, 1 in the front for where the actual speaker sticks out, and at the back for the wires?

And you mean put the sub facing the front? The box is came from had the cone and the sub in the same spots, so I assume it wounds best like that.

ALSO - what is the best type of wood to use? Does thickness affect anything?

May 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 41
OK this can get a bit technical. To get the best out of any speaker tuning is a must. It will come down to a science if you go all out! If its possible front firing sub is best. Add a port and try to glue PVC pipe on the back side of the box. About halfway in the box right behind the sub. This well add to bass and sound stage as well and allow them to breath. jonnywolfet is right try to isolate the mid drivers. If you want them all together put a baffle behind them or if your good a cabinet within a cabinet. You don't want the resonance of the subs to distort the other divers. Some dynamat if you get some rattling. Boom banging speakers! I hope I was of some help.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK this can get a bit technical. To get the best out of any speaker tuning is a must. It will come down to a science if you go all out! If its possible front firing sub is best. Add a port and try to glue PVC pipe on the back side of the box. About halfway in the box right behind the sub. This well add to bass and sound stage as well and allow them to breath. jonnywolfet is right try to isolate the mid drivers. If you want them all together put a baffle behind them or if your good a cabinet within a cabinet. You don't want the resonance of the subs to distort the other divers. Some dynamat if you get some rattling. Boom banging speakers! I hope I was of some help.
biggrin.gif

Can you maybe help some more. By no means is the sub THAT powerful, in fact the speakers are actually alot louder than the sub, the sub is there to just ad that bit of umph. So by isolate do you guys mean put it in its own compartment?

just to clarify, the sub is pointing outwards/downwards and will be raised about 5 cm. So it will be visible if you turn it upside down. I can take pictures of all the materials and ill post it later. I also need to know about the best type of wood to use.

May 5, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 41
I kind of figured that the subs might be weak. The port set up gives them more air to move so better bass and less power. a strong sub can go sealed but more power is needed. Isolate for better image(separation).
As for wood go with particle board or MDF. MDF is not as easy to find as particle board at your local hardware store.

May 5, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

I kind of figured that the subs might be weak. The port set up gives them more air to move so better bass and less power. a strong sub can go sealed but more power is needed. Isolate for better image(separation).
As for wood go with particle board or MDF. MDF is not as easy to find as particle board at your local hardware store.

Can you give me an example. Do you mean isolate the speakers so they only face out?

May 5, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 41
To make it easy for you go with your original plan and just drill a hole about the size of a half dollar right by the sub on the bottom and if you want a bit more add the PVC pipe. I looked at the speakers your using I was going a bit overboard. Sorry. And yes keep the speakers facing outward. BTW the cone? is that the port? If so to big.

May 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 41
Yes, I mean the cone is a hollow tube, it is in the same positioning as it was in the old box, and so is the sub. Thats why I put it in the same spots cause im assuming Logitech tuned it a bit

May 5, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 41
Is it the same box? If so you are good to go! Just flush mount the two speakers and your done as far as the mechanical work goes! As for portable powering. Don't know much on that. I to am about to make a portable using the iHome 2Go speakers but don't know how to amp them. I wonder if I can DIY an amp with a rechargeable power source.I wish you luck on your project.

May 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Is it the same box? If so you are good to go! Just flush mount the two speakers and your done as far as the mechanical work goes! As for portable powering. Don't know much on that. I to am about to make a portable using the iHome 2Go speakers but don't know how to amp them. I wonder if I can DIY an amp with a rechargeable power source.I wish you luck on your project.

The size of the box will be a bit bigger than the one the tube/sub came from. And what does flush mount mean? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back