Creek and QED headphone amps
Sep 6, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #16 of 18
Valves get knocked for being overly troublesome... but this isn't fair. A good amp + tubes should last a long time and be easily replaced when the time comes. Plus, they will help keep you warm on a cold winter night.

Sep 6, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #17 of 18
Let me chime into this:

I have Creek amp with a standard supply it sounds very nice. It's a great bang for the buck. I find it's very neutral, flat frequency response (subjective not measured) and it's fast, but not bright. Detailed, but not fatiguing. It's just a great little amp. I agree with other posters that it's not an exciting amp. It just does everything right.

Sep 7, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #18 of 18
Seeing that no-one has chimed in about the QED, let me add my own $0.02...

By rights, the model you're reffering to is the MB45... my particular version only had nickel phono connectors, rather than the gold plated ones on todays variant... mine was bought in around about 1995/6 so the PCB and / or components could have been updated since... but on MY particular unit, the sound was clean up to a certain point, but then hiss took over (probably louder than most mortals could handle... thats how loud i'm talking
wink.gif
)

The biggest problem (or... should that be asset?) of the QED, was that it didn't appear to add anything to the music, it was just there... no warmth, no soul... no anything really... just music

Good, bad, or indifferent... I definetly would not say that the QED would be in the same league as the Creek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back