Creative XFI vs Onboard Realtek HD Audio
Jan 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

member1982

1000+ Head-Fier
So far im happy with the Realtek HD Audio onboard it drives my Ultrasone Pro 750 ok. Will there be an massive improvement if i fork out for an Creative XFI sound card just for music?

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 15
The creative X-Fi is an improvement over Realtek onboard audio. I wouldn't call it "massive" though. However, if you're only interested in music listening, for the price there are much better options out there than a Creative X-Fi.

Let us know a little more about your sound card needs, budget, computer OS, etc and we'll see if we can offer you some more satisfying suggestions for a sound card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 15
im running vista 64bit right now, dont really have a set budget but if something that is amazingly better than yeah would consider it.

not sure about the those DACs i have heard about... i suppose i wanted something universal..

USB powered / rechargable onboard battery, abilitity to amp the sound and improve it on high powered devices maybe through 3.5mm connections? yeah. hehe

just for better more detailed sound? although that might have to do more with headphones i suppose... Soundcards are an amp but not dedicated.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 15
The X-FI is an upgrade but I wouldn't get it. Why don't you get the Zero DAC or something similar?

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 15
what does the Zero DAC connect on? can it be an portable amp with onboard rechargable battery, and with the option of recharging by the usb port.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what does the Zero DAC connect on? can it be an portable amp with onboard rechargable battery, and with the option of recharging by the usb port.

Sorry, the Zero is mains powered.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are tons of information about the Zero DAC. Do a search.

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 15
Creative PCI-E Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Review - hardCOREware.net

Take a look at this X-Fi Titanium review. Realtek ALC889A codec even surpress it in RMAA audio quality test and in addition, there is no big framerate difference in gaming between two devices. See these comments inside:
Quote:

"As you can see, the ALC889a not only catches up to the X-Fi, but beats it in some tests. It is particularly better with 24-bit audio, so those building home theatre systems should keep that in consideration."
"As you can see, the huge performance advantage once seen on the X-Fi is no longer there. If you are using Vista though, many games will not have proper surround sound without it. If you've played Far Cry 2 and noticed that the voices are really quiet, and seem to come from random speakers, ALchemy fixes that. And to use ALchemy, you need an X-Fi."
Maybe onboard audio will be the ultimate competitor to our Xonar audio add-on cards?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 15
I know this question sounds ridiculous, but how much will an external DAC boost my music listening experience if i have the ALC889A HD audio... I know that it is a lot, but I want to make sure its worth it, because DACs are expensive, plus getting a good Amp on top hurts, pricewise

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't have any experience with that particular audio device, but I can tell you that there was a difference between the ALC888 and the Forte I put in my computer. It really depends on the DAC and what speakers or headphones you're using too, however.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at this X-Fi Titanium review. Realtek ALC889A codec even surpress it in RMAA audio quality test and in addition, there is no big framerate difference in gaming between two devices. See these comments inside:

I don't buy that. I'd like to see the actual RMAA measurements which other reviews do point it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't buy that. I'd like to see the actual RMAA measurements which other reviews do point it.

Protip: Don't ask for proof from a year and a half old post and expect a response.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 15
Recommand anything but Creative X-fi!!!

I used to have one but it kept making annoying popping sound like mad. Also their repair service was totally a nightmare!

Why don't you try a Xonar? It's pretty nice and sounds fantastic (now I own Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe)

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Auzentech Forte/Bravura would be a good choice both have replaceable headphone amp op-amp, Then from Asus, Xonar ST/X would be another good choice which also has replaceable op-amp sockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back