Creative Sound blasterX AE-5 vs DAC?
Jan 16, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 25
Has anyone compared the AE-5 directly to the ZXR?

In regards to the RGB on the AE-5, I've read conflicting reports about the molex connector, some say its needed for all RGB functions, others say its only needed to power external LED strips and the onboard lights will function without it.

May 3, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #17 of 25
How does the AE-5 compare to the X-Fi Titanium HD for surround sound emulation in games? Is this an upgrade from the X-Fi’s CMSS-3D?

My current setup is Titanium HD to a Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. Is it worth upgrading to the AE-5 for strictly gaming? Thanks!

May 3, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #18 of 25
Get a good external DAC for your Valhalla 2 like the Modi Multibit, buy a cheap Xonar U3 or whatever 7.1 card that has an optical out (xonar pcie with unified xonar drivers).

Install Equalizer APO + HeSuVI, make sure the sound card is in 7.1 mode of course (guide is extremely easy) use the SBX preset or Dolby Headphone or even CMSS, whatever you wish. Never look back.

May 17, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 25
Get a good external DAC for your Valhalla 2 like the Modi Multibit, buy a cheap Xonar U3 or whatever 7.1 card that has an optical out (xonar pcie with unified xonar drivers).

Install Equalizer APO + HeSuVI, make sure the sound card is in 7.1 mode of course (guide is extremely easy) use the SBX preset or Dolby Headphone or even CMSS, whatever you wish. Never look back.

How much does a sound card matter when connected via optical out to a DAC? How does the 7.1 transfer between these components, does it not get lost somewhere somehow?

May 17, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 25
How much does a sound card matter when connected via optical out to a DAC? How does the 7.1 transfer between these components, does it not get lost somewhere somehow?
Typically (for headphone use) when an external optical DAC is connected to a sound card's optical port, any surround sound function (from a 5.1 or 7.1 source, game or movie) is pre-processed, before any of the 2-channel headphone surround sound is sent thru optical, to the DAC.
The software that comes with a sound card (with DSP chip) or other 3rd party software (like PowerDVD) or any headphone audio processing built into a game,
will to take the audio from a 5.1 or 7.1 source (game or movie) and converts it into 2-channel headphone surround sound, before it's sent thru a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection.
If the audio source is just basically 2-channel audio (stereo audio), for like music or gaming or movie, then the sound card does not really do anything with the audio, just lets it pass thru the sound card's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) port.

May 17, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #21 of 25
Typically (for headphone use) when an external optical DAC is connected to a sound card's optical port, any surround sound function (from a 5.1 or 7.1 source, game or movie) is pre-processed, before any of the 2-channel headphone surround sound is sent thru optical, to the DAC.
The software that comes with a sound card (with DSP chip) or other 3rd party software (like PowerDVD) or any headphone audio processing built into a game,
will to take the audio from a 5.1 or 7.1 source (game or movie) and converts it into 2-channel headphone surround sound, before it's sent thru a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection.
If the audio source is just basically 2-channel audio (stereo audio), for like music or gaming or movie, then the sound card does not really do anything with the audio, just lets it pass thru the sound card's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) port.

Thank you. Then it would actually make sense to buy the cheapest possible 7.1 sound card with Optical out and use it with HeSuVi software, right?

May 17, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #22 of 25
Thank you. Then it would actually make sense to buy the cheapest possible 7.1 sound card with Optical out and use it with HeSuVi software, right?
To me about the best headphone audio setup, for use with a Win PC, is to use the cheaper sound card, with really nice external DAC/amps (using the S/PDIF optical/coaxial connection.

I would assume the HeSuVi can send it's processed headphone surround sound, out the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) optical port, that come with on-board audio (sound card built into a motherboard).
The HeSuVi might even be about to send the processed audio thru USB (to an external USB DAC/amp).

An Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, gives you a low cost optical output port and Dolby Headphone surround sound.

May 31, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 25
Right,

I have just tested B) SBx AE-5 comparing to my A) SB Z with an external desktop headphones amp (Topping A30). We can say that SB Z with the amp is worth pretty much the same as the SBx AE-5 card alone. So this is a fair comparison.

As I was getting pretty tired when testing SBx AE-5 (I call it B), just to be sure, I have replaced the soundcard back and did the A again - desbribed here as C. I have also tested SBx with the amp in Direct mode even though I would not be able to use it that way going forward as card is missing multichannel digital output, so would not be able to have my 5.1 external speakers.

Tests are ONLY for the headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Studio (non-pro) 600 Ohm. Could not test the 5.1 speakers as my cables are still on order. Also this is the quickest test ever, all took me below 2h, so could be a bit inaccurate.

In A (and C), the amp is plugged to the front L+R line out (SB Z). In B, HP amped out is used (SBx AE-5).

I have used to be a basshead (think listening to Beats by Dr. Dre Mixr on a go all the time - those were probably the most bass heavy small-mid size headphones ever made by human) but I am not that much anymore. I still like the deep bass, the rumble, but a gentle one is all I need now.

Detailed results:

Sound Blaster Z, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Topping A30 headphones amp, Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohm (non-pro version)

A) Stereo Direct, 24Bit 192 KhZ, 70 (system) / 75 (amp) volume – Hi – 9dB (any DSP soundcard processing is off in this mode)

B) Direct HP, 24Bit 192 KhZ, HIGH gain, 40 (system) volume (any DSP soundcard processing is off in this mode)

C) Same as A

Test 1 - Cola – CamelPhat – Spotify High quality streaming 320kbit/s

A) Bass – subdued, almost non-existent at first, then crisper, quite strong & deep. Main vocals are great here, triangle very nice. Nice separation. A lot is going on!

B) Bass – not fantastic but it is there, then somewhat better but mushy/soft, not too deep, meh-like. Main vocal pretty nice, triangle nice. Not sure about separation. A lot going is going at times but the cards manages it well.

C) A re-do after a swap back. All like A, way better than B even with AMP as tested.

Test 2 – God’s Plan - Drake - Spotify High quality streaming 320kbit/s

A) First voice good, not amazing. Then bass, crisp, strong and deep.

B) First voice good+, not amazing. The bass crisp, strong(ish) and deep.

C) A re-do after a swap back. Voice good, then amazing, way too good, deep bass, nice, deep. Could not even recreate it with B + amp.

Test 3 – Congratulations – Post Malone - Spotify High quality streaming 320kbit/s

A) Good voice, not great. Bass later subdued, deep(ish) but muddy. Rest, nice. Quite wide stage however not much of that.

B) Pretty good voice, very good actually. Bass later ok(ish), deep(ish) but muddy. Rest, quite nice. Quite wide stage however not much of that in the song to be 100% sure.

C) A re-do after a swap back. Good voice. Bass somewhat subued, like in A. Rest quite nice.

Test 4 – RealSpace 3d Audio Demo HRTF YouTube -

A) Left, right really good. Up and down not bad! Bit muffled music. Center front not great unless really close, than sometimes quite good.

B) All pretty good, think up and down is better than on A. Bit muffled music?

C) NA (skipped)

Bonus ->

A) Sounds very good thoroughly, nice low end vibrations at some points. Voice is really good.

B) Sounds pretty good thoroughly, nice(ish) low end vibrations. Voice is quite good. Overall, not as good as A!

C) Sounds pretty good, nice low-end vibrations a bit later. Voice is really good.

Test X - SBx AE-5 with the amp in Direct mode, front line out
Results of those were pretty much as B, so the lack of the deep bass was not fixed.

Comments:

So, deep bass is lacking in the SBx AE-5 headphones' amp. And quite a lot. Lows are not only less deep, those sound mushy (smoothed).
Voice seems somewhat improved on SBx AE-5. Not sure about high ends, think those are simial to SB Z with the amp.
Soundstage to me is pretty much the same however HRTF audio test have potentially went quite a bit better for AE-5 with the up and down, especially up, positioning. This would suggest this card is heavilly gaming oriented which would confirm interesting sound profiles included (won't work in direct modes of course). SB Z has only 5 sound profiles in total and those are nothing special. SBx AE-5 has got around 20 in total, and those are very varied and working well.

Final feedback on SBx AE-5 in general:

Pros:
- New sound profiles are good and there is quite a few of those. Think there are only two-three for music, rest for other uses. This would suggested the card is not music oriented.
- Some voice frequencies seem improved quite a bit
- I think low volume level listening was not affecting the quality overall any further
- If you have some super hard to drive headphones, this card will drive them well (talking volume-wise only of course)! Mine 600 Ohm ones were enough on anything between 20-40 volume. On 100 I would get deaf and that level of volume is not accessible on my external desktop headphones amp at all.

Cons:
- Switching from HP 7.1 to HP Direct messes up the volume level, at least in HIGH gain mode (the tested headphones are 600 Ohm) - the volume is higher than it should be. You need to go down and up again to fix it.
- Some of low frequencies are much lower and lacks details compared to SB Z and AMP
- No multichannel digital out (stereo only). As confirmed by Creative, it will work alongside (at the same time as) analogue speakers out but will not work with headphones
- Even in such a short testing I have experienced sound clipping. It was something really new for me, never happens on SB Z.

Can live with:
- The new software is a bit confusing but it works
- Anything over 24 bit 192Khz / 96Khz appears to be COMPLETLY pointless. I have done a few tests and apart of getting into problems with most applications (i.e. Spotify and Foobar have refused to work in the highest mode), have not spot ANY difference.

This is a very short, headphones for music only oriented, review. Based on that, this AE-5 is not an upgrade from SB Z itself, not even mention from SB Z paired in Stereo Direct mode (24bit 192Khz - which always works and everywhere) with an external amp; well, at least not for me, remember, basshead(ish)...

Sorry for typos (may correct them at a later date), there will be probably a few. Hope anyone will find this express review usefull.

Update {02/06/2018}

I have spend hours trying full HP mode with DSP, changing EQ, bass settings, etc... Despite all of it I was not able to match the SB Z's sound signature on my headphones. I am returning the AE-5 to Creative.

I have done speakers tests as well and the AE-5 does seem to improve frequencies apart of certain bass, over the SB Z. If you hate bass, this card is for you. Otherwise think twice - compare to see if it works well with your headphones and speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #25 of 25
I was wondering if anyone here uses the AE-5 with the Senn HD6XX etc? I don't have any amp atm and what is being recommended is quite pricey. I have an X-Fi SB which is just OK. I never particularly liked the sound sig of it with headphones but it's fine for the sound system. I'm thinking if the AE-5 is quite good with my HD6XX then it would do for the time being till I can afford a premium dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back