Creating the best resonators for vibration speakers
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jsdozer

New Head-Fier
Okay, so for my birthday my brother got me a couple of these things called Mighty Boom Balls. They're a relatively low-end (in the monetary sense) vibration speaker i.e. you attach them to a surface and the surface is transformed into a resonant speaker through vibration. So I thought it might be a fun experiment to try and build a decent resonator/pair of resonators to squeeze the maximum performance out of these things. There are however two mitigating factors. Firstly, I have very little money, so need to make them out of cheap, and preferably readily available, materials. Second, I have no idea what shape they should be, or if they should be hollow or solid. I attached one to an old guitar and that gave me the best effect so far, but I can't really use that.

So any ideas? I need tips on shape, size and material. Any other notes would of course be welcome.

Oh, and remember, I have 2 of these things, so I can attach them both to one surface, or to two separate ones. Would a combination of two different materials perhaps give a better sound quality? Hmm.

Thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't have any answers for you... I just thought I'd speak up and say that I think "Mighty Boom Balls" really should be in the thread title.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Do some Web searching for phrases such as "NXT loudspeaker", "DML" (Distributed Mode Loudspeaker), "bending wave transducer"  etc. There's a lot of information available.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 4
I guess you need something thin, light but rigid like a piece of hard plastic.

Whether it sounds better if you mount the boom balls inside a box (similar to a sealed speaker) or on a piece of plastic that is mounted freely on some kind of stands, I don't know. Guess you have to experiment a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back