Cowon Q5W and iBasso D3 Python good combo?
May 7, 2009 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

subtle.desensitizer

New Head-Fier
I have a Cowon Q5W and some really bad Sennheiser HD280 Pro's with ripped foam pads that needs to be upgraded.
From what I have heard the iPod soundstage is great, which makes sense as to why I liked my iPod audio quality better than the Cowon Q5W while listening to Tool. If anyone who knows Tool could listen to 10,000 Days part 2 or Vicarious or the Pot and comment on how Soundstage would affect the sound I'd really appreciate it.
I was thinking that it would be a good idea to use the Cowons SPDIF output, and thus get a DAC and some new headphones. And if Soundstaging could explain my difference in sound I read HeadphoneAddict's reviews and it said that the iBasso D3 has a really good DAC and good soundstaging also.
So in short would they make a good combination? And even better, if anyone here has the mentioned Tool songs could they comment on how Soundstaging plays a part in quality because Tool and A Perfect Circle are my favorite bands and quality for them matters so much more than other music I listen to.

May 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 6
The only thing I can comment on is the Q5W, as I had one. (I still have it, but it doesn't work) If you already use it and can deal with what it brings to the table, then that's fine. However, you can probably get a better DAP. I can't say for sure, but I would guess that a 5g ipod would have about the same, if not better, SQ than the Q5W, as well as being much more user-friendly (sans the navigation IMO, I lurve the cowon navigation systems). Personally the only thing I would use a Q5W for is watching videos and transferring music onto one of my other, smaller DAPs. The SPDIF might be an option as well, but then again back to dealing with the Q5W.

As for the soundstage part, I would think that the headphones would be the most important part of the equipment as far as soundstage goes. Might want to look into some good open cans if it is that important to you.

May 8, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not the most experienced here, but I think a DAC is used to feed an amplifier. It sounds to me like you don't necessarily need the D3, unless you are looking to connect it to something else. I've personally had good results with the Q5W and the P3 Heron with the AD743 opamps. The sound is not as full and spacious as a full sized amp, but it is very usable in my experience, and gives you a good idea of what you are missing just listening to the Q5W alone. I do plan to use the SPDIF on the Q5W with a full sized DAC at some point to feed my RSA Raptor. Can any one comment on whether or not that's a good idea?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back