Could you get taxed for a headphone in a checked baggage?
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ucanuup

Head-Fier
I am planning to bring a sr-009 or l700 to the US from China. It will be inside a checked bag along with a dac2 and hd800 that I bought with me on the trip. I carried that combo with me on the plane a few times and nothing went wrong but this time the headphone would be rather new. How likely do you think the custom guys would find out? What would the do if they did? If the stake is high I might have to buy a l700 instead and put it in my backpack.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 11
One time, I brought out and back into the country a test equipment inside a luggage that is worth well over $10K. It was never opened and I was not tax. I'm sure the luggage was x-rayed but did not trigger any alarm. However, YMMV.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 11
According to this link, the fee for importing headphones into the US would be 3.6%. It may differ depending on the state. The country of origin may also influence things. And, of course, you may not be "caught" anyway...though electrostatic amps would look suspicious on a scanner and you may even need to explain what it is.

But I can't think of a single legitimate reason for customs duties to exist, at least when it comes to non-business use. It's your property. You already paid for it. In my opinion, it should be no one else's business where you bring it and what you do with it as long as you don't harm anyone else with it. It's nothing more than extortion, in my book.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 11
I could definitely be wrong, but it seems that Customs would have no way of proving that you didn't enter the country with that equipment, so they would have no reason to try to tax you when leaving.

Good luck!

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 11
  I am planning to bring a sr-009 or l700 to the US from China. It will be inside a checked bag along with a dac2 and hd800 that I bought with me on the trip. I carried that combo with me on the plane a few times and nothing went wrong but this time the headphone would be rather new. How likely do you think the custom guys would find out? What would the do if they did? If the stake is high I might have to buy a l700 instead and put it in my backpack.

I've brought my HD600 complete with the box to and from the US. No problems either way, and Philippine customs agents are known colloquially as a bunch of sharks. They earned that label more from the ones who are assigned to the post offices, since the law used to have some wiggle room that essentially can be rephrased as "agents reserve the right to call BS on your declared price (because we Googled the price and it was different) or state (ie new or used or personal)." 

I'd be worried if you're bringing the headphones into China, but into the US, I wouldn't really worry about it. They only really worry about contraband, like drugs, or certain food that the Agriculture Dept would get ticked off about.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 11
The safest way I believe would be to ship it by air, declare it as a sample for review, would be returned at some indefinite time, valued at $5K, and insured for $5K. Would cost you some $$ but you would not lose some sleep.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Another thing to keep in mind is where you enter the USA. Some airport might be stricter than others, specially if you're flight originated from China and passengers are known to bring in undeclared luxury items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back