Could someone who has heard the S-jays please review them?
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
In my search for the most musically and emotionally satisfying IEM under $200, I remembered these. Seeing as I don't have a clue what siren drivers sound like, could someone who has listened to these please review them? I think it's about time we found out what the new Jays IEM's are like!

By the way, to further clarify on what I'm looking for (as well as my source and music taste):

The post that pretty much sums it up:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5310897-post1.html

Full thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...dphone-402363/

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They pump the bass to maximummm (from what I've read).

I own them and disagree. They are quite unique earphones (high impedance and high sensitivity). They are also source-dependent. When playing from iPod Touch, their sound signature is dark oriented (little highs, overall sound moved to lower frequencies) <- but they are far from being bassy (at least not in term "fun, warm, bassy sound") !!
For instance, bass on Denons C700 is deeper, more powerfull with stronger impact.
They are also very prone to EQing. When set to "more treble" on iPod, their sound becomes better balanced.

When plugged into an amp (and playing from PC) they're quite balanced without EQing. The bass is where it should be (similiar sound to iPod with "more treble" setting). The mids are moved forward, quite detailed and a tiny-bit harsh. Being used to CK7 sound, I miss some upper-midrange. Bass is well controled but it doesn't go as deep as Denons. That would be too good for one-driver armature, taking into account that trebles are also well handled, although with less sparkle and details than Audio Technica's CK7.

Other thing worth to mention is soundstage - huge for earphones. Listening to certain kinds of music (opera, classical) one can feel the space and distance in recordings.
They are also very loud. Far louder than Denons or AT (with the same sound level set on DAP, of course).

As it comes for comfort, it's nice, better than Denons or AT. Plug-and-forget earphones type
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall, they need good source with EQ, or amp and they can play pretty good. Not good for iPod (lack of proper EQ).

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 9
you might want to check out future sonics atrio m5. They don't look like much, but read some reviews that gave the impression you want.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 9
I may actually be receiving a pair of these for review.

If they come, expect the first Head-Fi S-Jays review.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 9
From the PM I received, the end of this month.

But it's the end of the month now, so... soon?

Don't hold me to this, I don't work for Jays and for all I know they could have changed their minds. Don't shoot the messenger.

On another note, don't shoot the sender in this case either.

EDIT: Wait, that was when they'd be available outside the UK. I don't know if or when they'll be available through internet retailers right away at the time of international release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back