Could I get an isolation headphone (in-ear) recommendation?
Apr 21, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 26
Do the 551's sit in the ear like the Shures do? What I mean it, the canal part goes into the ear, but the driver sits in the ridge of your ear and not out in the open away from the head....like the Ultimate Ears I guess.

And can the cord go over the ear?

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the 551's sit in the ear like the Shures do? What I mean it, the canal part goes into the ear, but the driver sits in the ridge of your ear and not out in the open away from the head....like the Ultimate Ears I guess.

And can the cord go over the ear?

The 551s do sit inside the ear, thus they are not very noticable. I actually wear the cord around my ear, so yes. I cannot answer whether the 751s are worth 2X the price as I have not heard them, though if you review the Denon C700 thread you can try to decide for yourself. I decided that the C551s would be sufficient for my needs.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 26
Awesome, For $66, it seems I cannot go wrong
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope they are even better than the Shure SE110's! (And that the isolation is not too bad...maybe i can get different foams?)

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also....worth doubling the price for the 751's?

I own both the C551 & the C700 ( I couldn't help picking up a set of the C551's for a 'what if' backup earphone, but now paired with my Sony NWZ-A829, it has become my main set!...if that helps let you know how I like them). They differ mostly in the treble presented by the C700, and the bass by the C551's. The C700's treble is ever so slightly more refined, separated, and detailed... with maybe a little more soundstage. But I would say that it is almost distinguishable unless you keep swapping them both back and forth over and over on the same passage of music. The C551's have 95% of the treble and refinement in the highs. But they have a more punchy and deep bass. So I find that they become even more of a fun, toe-tapping earphone (and the C700 is no slouch either). Just be careful of that first impression, because they seem a bit bright, and harsh/splashy on the highs. But they really mellow out after some overnight pink noise burn in, and extended use. They are really a gem at the price on Amazon. And at that price you don't have to worry about babying them, but you really don't have to because of their tough aluminum housing.

So anyway that was my long-winded way to say that I don't think the C700/751 is worth double the retail. I prefer the C551.

-Good luck.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #23 of 26
Isolation on the Denon's are okay. They do a decent job. I'm thinking of getting Comply Foam's to see if isolation improves on my c700s.

But I do have a pair of im716's, and those isolate much better. I use those when I have to study in a loud place (coffee shops, student unions etc). They're not expensive either last time I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back