Could anyone please help identify this distortion?
Feb 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lschell

New Head-Fier
If there is a technical term for this, please let me know. Its not a crackling. But whenever there is no sound (vocals, instruments. Usually at the beginning of every song), there is this very annoying subtle pitch that goes up and down, up and down. I think the best way to describe it would be taking a guitar amp, or tv with no audio source, then continuously turning the volume all the way up, then all the way down. Im using the m50's if it is known for this. Just bought them new about two weeks ago.

This picture of a wave frequency is what comes to my mind when I hear it. Its so annoying!

This has just started to happen today on my laptop. I play a lot of high quality video game remixes, and it has never done this before. I have two headphone jacks in my laptop, and switching them did nothing. I then played the same songs on my ipod touch and I could not hear this wave sound. Then again the headphones feel "dull" sounding when plugged into my ipod, so maybe it does not play that pitch for some reason. If it is the sound card, I do not understand why it would just go bad within a day though. I listen to my music slightly below mid volume. Could anyone help me out with this? Again, I would love to research this type of distortion if it is known.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Sounds like a sound card to me, not that I'm any expert. Could be some sort of interference. Have you plugged any new devices into your laptop recently? Try other sources besides your ipod and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back