Cotton ball Etymotic ER6 mod
Dec 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

civilmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
I'm 3 days from travelling and my ER6 filters became clogged. I decided to try a little cotton batton in place of the filters. I figured that it may at least keep the ear wax out.

Anyways, sound signature is definitly different. To me the bass and mid is improved and it doesn't seem like I've lost too much treble.

Summary: Detail is slightly reduced, mid and bass is a little deeper and punchier.

Source is ipod nano 4th gen, bit rates always greater than 192, not equalized, no amplifier.

Your mileage may vary, plus I have no idea how gunked up the cotton will get and how often it will need to be replaced. Also, I'm assuming that I'll be able to easily take out the cotton when it needs replacing. Of course, do this at your own risk.

Basically, take out filters and use the filter tool to put a tiny amount cotton inside the sound tube. I put the cotton in fairly loose. 1st pic shows the amount cotton I used per channel. Send pic shows cotton inside the ER6.

Remember, once filters are removed you cannot use them again. If you try this, maybe wait until you are planning on replacing the filters anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back