Connecting ministereo jacks to Chaintech AV710 versus EMU 0404
Sep 13, 2004 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gtfool

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my computer’s sound card from its integrated SoundMax sound card to something a little more respectable. Based on many of the posts I’ve read here, it seems like either the Chaintech AV710 or the EMU 0404 should be a great replacement candidate.

Although it sounds like EMU 0404 may be the better sound card, I am a bit concerned with how I will be able to connect to it using my headphones however. Most of the headphones I use with my computer (Beyerdynamic DT250-80, Koss ksc35, B&O A8) have ministereo jacks, and I currently connect my headphones directly to the sound card. So if I were to get EMU 0404, I’m assuming I’ll also need to first get some kind of adapter so that I can actually use the sound card in my current set up. With that being the case, would it make more sense for me to just get the Chaintech AV710 with its stereo output instead? From the sound quality point of view, how does the Chaintech’s stereo output compare versus EMU-0404 + Adapter? Does it change the equation at all, if I’m expecting to get my Headsave Go-Vibe in a few days?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfool
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my computer’s sound card from its integrated SoundMax sound card to something a little more respectable. Based on many of the posts I’ve read here, it seems like either the Chaintech AV710 or the EMU 0404 should be a great replacement candidate.

Although it sounds like EMU 0404 may be the better sound card, I am a bit concerned with how I will be able to connect to it using my headphones however. Most of the headphones I use with my computer (Beyerdynamic DT250-80, Koss ksc35, B&O A8) have ministereo jacks, and I currently connect my headphones directly to the sound card. So if I were to get EMU 0404, I’m assuming I’ll also need to first get some kind of adapter so that I can actually use the sound card in my current set up. With that being the case, would it make more sense for me to just get the Chaintech AV710 with its stereo output instead? From the sound quality point of view, how does the Chaintech’s stereo output compare versus EMU-0404 + Adapter? Does it change the equation at all, if I’m expecting to get my Headsave Go-Vibe in a few days?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

I cannot give you an A/B comparision between the AV710 and EMU 0404, but I can say that I *really* liked my AV710 --> Go-Vibe solution when I still had Go-Vibes. And nothing could be simpler--get or make a reasonable length quality mini-to-mini IC (1/8" male plugs at both ends) to run from the back of your sound card to your Go-Vibe, which you can velcro to your desktop and plug your headphones into that.

Whether you go with the AV710 or EMU 0404, don't worry--availability of cables to hook up your Go-Vibe (or other amp) to any sound card you choose is not an issue.

wink.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I cannot give you an A/B comparision between the AV710 and EMU 0404, but I can say that I *really* liked my AV710 --> Go-Vibe solution when I still had Go-Vibes. And nothing could be simpler--get or make a reasonable length quality mini-to-mini IC (1/8" male plugs at both ends) to run from the back of your sound card to your Go-Vibe, which you can velcro to your desktop and plug your headphones into that.

Whether you go with the AV710 or EMU 0404, don't worry--availability of cables to hook up your Go-Vibe (or other amp) to any sound card you choose is not an issue.

wink.gif

Thanks for the reply. I think in any case, i will most likely try out the Chaintech AV710 card (might as well upgrade the sound card at work too to make life a bit more enjoyable). Plus it's reputation precedes it...so i got to check it out for myself. =)

As for using the EMU 0404, i'm assuming my best bet would be to get some kind of adapter that converts the two mono 1/4" connectors into a stereo-mini jack? I currently already have a monster cable Interlink Portable 400 MkII Stereo RCA to 1/8" mini, so i guess i just need to find some good rca jack to 1/4 mono plugs. Any suggestions on those?

It's probably not worth getting a separate two mono 1/4" connectors to a stereo mini cable huh? Heh. Just checking...

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfool
As for using the EMU 0404, i'm assuming my best bet would be to get some kind of adapter that converts the two mono 1/4" connectors into a stereo-mini jack? I currently already have a monster cable Interlink Portable 400 MkII Stereo RCA to 1/8" mini, so i guess i just need to find some good rca jack to 1/4 mono plugs. Any suggestions on those?

It's probably not worth getting a separate two mono 1/4" connectors to a stereo mini cable huh? Heh. Just checking...

While I don't know if the EMU 0404 has RCA outs, a 1/4" stereo jack, two mono phono jacks for L and R respectively, or something else, all of the cable makers recommended on this site could have you up and running shortly--and almost certainly with off-the-shelf cables. Alternately, this is a very easy DIY project if you have a modicum of patience, a soldering iron and an evening to spend on it.

I'm using a mini-to-L/R RCA adapter, probably originally from Radio Shack, to connect my stationary amp (which uses RCA jacks) to my mini-jack-only AV710 at this time and it seems to work fine.

So, as mentioned, you are going to have no quality or compatibility issues with either card and any amp--it's just a matter of getting the correct cable. The real question, I think, is how does the 0404 stack up against the AV710, and what is your budget for this. I'm really happy with my Chaintech and think it is a nice budget match for a budget amp like the Go-Vibe. And if you get the Vibe and have the funds left for two AV710's--one at work and one at home, then you'll have a nice portable amp to enjoy your music at both locations as well as with a portable source of your choice.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back