Connecting Headphone Amp to Audigy2 Sound Card
Nov 13, 2002 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

James Stephen

New Head-Fier
As I am being forced to spend increasingly long periods of time in front of my computer, I have decided (and I know this may just be silly) to connect my Wheatfield HA-1 amp to the Audigy 2 sound card and try to enjoy my listening experience as much as possible. However, I am not sure of the best, most convenient way to do it.

I currently have my Altec Lansing 880 speakers connected to both line out ports on the sound card. The rear of the computer is hard to access, and I would prefer if possible not to have to get to it each time I wanted to change between amp and speakers. So I assume a splitter is the answer.

Am I correct on this and, if so, I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding the finer points (if there are any) of how to do this. For example, will the splitter cause any harm to the signal that I will notice either using the speakers or my headphones (Grado RS-2's)? Does it make any difference which line out I connect the splitter to? Any particular make or specifications of the splitter? Any dealer you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions. I am obviously new to this and greatly appreciate the help.

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 3
As long as you get a good quality splitter it shouldn't make too much difference.. I would go for the one piece type, rather than a cable splitter, if you know what I mean; less area for degridation and interfearance.

BTW, how do you like your Weatfield HA-1? Is it really best of both worlds (or close to it) hybrid solide state / tube amp? I read the review given by headroom and it was pretty intersting. A bit out of my price range, but it's nice to know what's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back