Confusion... Help needed on selecting sub 250USD DAC
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AudioKitten

New Head-Fier
I've been shopping for the last several weeks trying to figure out what DAC to buy for my stereo. Unfortunately, after several weeks of reading I've only ended up more confused than when I started. Anyway, I could really use the help. I should start by telling you what features I need in the machine.

Please keep in mind that my budget is in the 100-200USD range. I can stretch it slightly, maybe up to 275USD if there's a very compelling reason to do so but...

Must-Have Features:

1) It must be able to cope with poor timing over the USB connection. At this point I was thinking the best way to do that would be to limit myself to asynchronous USB DACs. However, it can have other methods, too, like buffering and reclocking. The only thing that matters is that the DAC's timing stays true and isn't beholden to the source for a clock signal. It's going to be hooked up to a cheap laptop and, at some point, a wireless router with a custom firmware.

2) It's going to be used to source a stereo system so it needs a line-level output, preferrably a non-variable one.

Extremely Desirable Features:

1) S/PDIF inputs. While not absolutely necessary I would really, really like the DAC to be able to accept optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs.

2) Socketed op-amps. I would like to be able to switch out the op-amps to adjust the sound. It's not strictly necessary, especially if the DAC already has high quality op-amps with an ever-so-slightly warm tonality.

~~

The two DACs that I'm most interested in currently are the HRT Music Streamer II and the iBasso D7. I would really love to hear what people have to say regarding these two machines. What has me hesitating on the MSII is that its circuit board doesn't seem to have any capacitors which has me questioning its power conditioning and it's ability to provide enough power on demand to handle large voltage swings. It also has a rather paltry dynamic range... What has me hesitating on the D7 is that I've read a lot of reports that it seems to pick up noise from the USB cable, which is bad!

I'm especially interested in alternatives to the aforementioned, especially if they include S/PDIF inputs.

~~

I mostly listen to classical recordings, especially chamber music. I also listen to jazz, blues, electronica, country, and some rock-and-roll. The DAC will be connected to a Denon DRA-685 receiver which powers two pairs of speakers, a pair of Polk Monitor 40's and a pair of B&W 686's, which I drive in parallel. I would say that as a whole the system is slightly warm but with a very slight tendency towards bright, almost harsh highs.

If the DAC doesn't have rollable op-amps it will need to be on the warmer side with preferrably recessed highs becasue I have tinnitus and overly bright highs can raise havoc with my hearing. Also, a meaty bass is vital!

~~

Thanks a tonne, in advance, for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back